Exo Terra vs Zoo Med

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you go to the Amazon.com site, you can parallel shop these two manufactures terrariums and see what kind of deal you can make. They are very close in quality, features, and variations. I do not see how you can go wrong just price shopping this item with these two manufacturers. There is very little difference.

If you go to the Amazon.com site, you can parallel shop these two manufactures terrariums and see what kind of deal you can make. They are very close in quality, features, and variations. I do not see how you can go wrong just price shopping this item with these two manufacturers. There is very little difference.
That's where I just was and I couldn't tell the difference. They both have basically the same features and before I committed to one I just wondered if anyone had one and found a design flaw, or something that was better about the one vs the other.

Plus, Amazon Prime shipping.....who doesn't love that!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also....If I am going to buy 5 in various sizes is there any place that will give a discount?
Honestly for mantids buying more than two of these is over kill. You would spend your money better buying similarly sized net cages.

for what I want to put in them the net ones will not work. I wont be able to control the humidity or temp...

I just actually have the money to get them now, and I want to commit and get them before I spend it on something I don't need like a playstation 4. :ninja:

I see... You should probably get some more experience first.

Oh. I'm sorry. I won't purchase the enclosures and get them ready since everybody sounds so much time prepping them beforehand and even during different molts, until I get more experience.

Thanks for the advice.

I was only asking about starting the beginning of a journey that will take some time to finish.

I don't want to discourage you, don't get me wrong. I just don't want you to waste any money that you might regret later.

If you have any questions about setting up a glass vivarium feel free to PM.

I had a very hard time finding info on them so I am here to help :)

I'm intimidated by the idolo. Don't get me wrong. I am. I've never once been happy that I have Graves' disease and am stuck at home until I read about the level of care that they require and happy that if anything would happen with the molts that 90% of the day I'll be here.

I read through 28 pages today of Idolo Consolidated ( which I must say is very thorough) and once I get some experience I do believe I can do this.

There are some very knowledgeable people on here that I have no doubt if I had any questions could help me. After all. Isn't that what this forum is for?

I own both (in larger sizes) and for glass I prefer ExoTerra because the build quality seems slightly tighter and (barely noticeable both are very good)and I like the looks of Exo a bit more. I would suggest choosing based on which one you like the looks of more.

For screen cages the ExoTerra are junk, go with ZooMed.

In my opinion buying a quality terrarium is never a waste of money. If cared for they last forever and it is always nice to have on hand just in case...

I bought an Exo terra 18x18x24 in prep for some tree frogs. I cant buy them until next month so I put a mantis in it. They like it and climbed up to the top.

Its beautiful but wicked heavy! It weighs about 50 pounds. The front doors, 2 doors, Zoomed has one, lock nicely. The screen top also locks with tabs that you turn out. It came with a foam rock background. Its simple but smartly designed.

I would like to buy smaller ones for my Avicularias.

They weigh 50 lbs! Well, that might be a problem. Lol. I see in some pics that people basically have them on plant stands so I didn't assume they were that heavy........

I live alone so it was hard to get it out of the boxes. It came packed in an extra box but all you need is a good knife and cut away the box and then lift it up. But its worth the struggle.

ALWAYS remember this saying: "You get what you pay for." It is well worth what I paid and I know I wont be sorry about the money I paid for it.

The only reason I advise you against jumping right in and getting five of these is that a lot of times people spend a lot of money on this hobby but don't last very long. Try with something cheap first until you get a better feel of mantid husbandry so that if this is'nt your thing you have not sunk thousands of dollars into a one purpose item.

They weigh 50 lbs! Well, that might be a problem. Lol. I see in some pics that people basically have them on plant stands so I didn't assume they were that heavy........
The large ones can be rather heavy but once in place you shouldn't have to move them much. What size tanks were you planning on getting? I don't want to diswade you from Idolos but do you have much experience with other species? There are so many beautiful species that are easier to start off with and could help teach you about mantis care in the process. There really is nothing like experience.

In my opinion buying a quality terrarium is never a waste of money. If cared for they last forever and it is always nice to have on hand just in case...
I'm with Dan on this. A nice tank is well worth the price. They last forever and something like an Exo Terra can be used for a large array of critters. For this reason when it comes to tanks I always like to go as a big as possible because I rather spend a little more and have a really nice display piece with lots of room for different set ups.

Latest posts