ExoticOddities

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NecroticSnail

Reaction score
I recently had the pleasure of completing a transaction with ExoticOddities.

Jack shipped everything quickly, the mantids were all in their own individual containers. There was only one doa and Jack quickly worked out a solution for me. He also went above and beyond in our, 20+ message, email conversation.

Not only would I do business with ExoticOddities again, but I'm actually waiting on another order.

I recently had the pleasure of completing a transaction with ExoticOddities.

Jack shipped everything quickly, the mantids were all in their own individual containers. There was only one doa and Jack quickly worked out a solution for me. He also went above and beyond in our, 20+ message, email conversation.

Not only would I do business with ExoticOddities again, but I'm actually waiting on another order.
Thank you for the kind words, and for taking out the time to write them :)

Got some cool Grizzleds for you, as well as this new surprise (if you're interested):

mantidfly.jpg

Thank you once again & hope you like the new set!

Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
To say I am disappointed and upset with my dealings with John Koerner would be an understatement. Communication back was sparse. I was told that he would make the deal work and that I would have my bugs by the 12th. This was a time sensitive order and I had emailed him a few days prior to today asking for an update. I never heard back and no package ever arrived. But today when I emailed him yet again he said he refunded my money. I was not looking for a refund, I was looking for a package. He even said he had found some mantids, but didn't bother to at least send me those. He just refunded my money without even bothering to tell me what was going on with my order. . I am very very displeased. This is NOT how you do business! Below you will find the entire email conversation. I only edited out my wifes name and my full email address and the name of another member on this board.

Richard Trone

Hey John, This is Rick from the Mantidforum. I am looking desperately for a few mantid species for an event. Seems they're out of culture or something. Is everything on your site in stock? I am particular need of G. grisea, S. floridensis, T. graminis, and anything else you have I don't already have. Please let me know so I can place an order ASAP.

Thanks!

Rick

Aug 23

[email protected]

Aug 23

to me

Hi Rick;

Thank you for your inquiry.

The bad news is I do not have any of those in stock; but the good news is I can pretty much collect them whenever I want. The Bark Mantids come out at night, and can be found on the tree trunks around here, while I can collect the other species you mention pretty much any time in my woods (I live on 50 acres in Dixie County).

Let me know how many of each species you want, and we can take it from there J

Cheers,

Jack

Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:19 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Looking....

Richard Trone richard.trone@

Aug 23

to exoticoddities

Thanks for the quick reply Jack. In that case I suppose a couple pairs of S. floridensis, a pair of G. grisea, and a single T. graminis. I'll want to breed the first two after the event. It is a large event and I am only permitted to bring US mantids so I try to have a good variety. I may also need. B. borealis. We have them here but real spotty, and my location for them has been mowed. In their case a couple would suffice. Thanks!

Aug 25

to exoticoddities

Hey Jack. Been a couple days since I last heard from you. Wanted to verify we could make a deal.

Thanks.

John Koerner [email protected]

Aug 26

to me

Hi Rick;

I did respond: I sent you this email on 8/23:

Hi Rick;

The bad news is I do not have any of those in stock; but the good news is I can pretty much collect them whenever I want. The Bark Mantids come out at night, and can be found on the tree trunks around here, while I can collect the other species you mention pretty much any time in my woods (I live on 50 acres in Dixie County).

Let me know how many of each species you want, and we can take it from there 

Cheers,

Jack

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2012 4:40 PM

Subject: Re: Looking....

Richard Trone richard.trone

Aug 26

to John

Hey Jack I did receive that email. Did you not get my response? Never know sometimes...

John Koerner

Aug 26

to me

No sir, did not get anything after that (checked spam).

Sorry for any confusion (??)

Can you re-send?

Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2012 5:45 PM

To: John Koerner

Hey Jack I did receive that email. Did you not get my response? Never know sometimes...

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 5:27 PM, John Koerner <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Rick;

I did respond: I sent you this email on 8/23:

Hi Rick;

Let me know how many of each species you want, and we can take it from there J

Cheers,

Jack

Aug 26

to John

Technology........ here is what I had sent you.

Thanks for the quick reply Jack. In that case I suppose a couple pairs of S. floridensis, a pair of G. grisea, and a T. graminis or two. It is a large event and I am only permitted to bring US mantids so I try to have a good variety. I may also need. B. borealis. We have them here but real spotty, and my location for them has been mowed. In their case a couple would suffice. Thanks!

Aug 27

to John

Hey Jack. Let me know today that you received my list that I resent last night. My need of these species is time sensitive. Thanks again.

[email protected]

Aug 27

to me

Hey Rick;

I normally need at least 2 weeks to collect a field request, and you have requested the following:

4 S. floridensis ($60)

2 G. grisea ($60)

2 T. graminis ($20)

That is a $140 order, so if you want to Paypal this amount to [email protected], and can give me 2 weeks to collect it, I will try and calculate the shipping later.

Normally, I require a $200 minimum order, and ask for a month, but these should be fairly easy to get.

Let me know if this fits into your schedule.

Thanks,

Jack

PS: I almost never see B. Borealis either.

Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 7:53 AM

Hey Jack. Let me know today that you received my list that I resent last night. My need of these species is time sensitive. Thanks again.

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Richard Trone <[email protected]> wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply Jack. In that case I suppose a couple pairs of S. floridensis, a pair of G. grisea, and a T. graminis or two. It is a large event and I am only permitted to bring US mantids so I try to have a good variety. I may also need. B. borealis. We have them here but real spotty, and my location for them has been mowed. In their case a couple would suffice. Thanks!

Aug 27

to exoticoddities

Hey Jack,

That should work. The event is on the 15th but I am setting up my booth the 14th. (www.bugfest.org). So it looks like that is more than two weeks out. Ok on the B. borealis, looks like I have some coming from *** ***. I will try to paypal you this tonight from my wifes account. Do you want shipping sent separate? Thanks!

[email protected]

Aug 27

to me

Okay, thanks.

Jack

Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 5:29 PM

Hey Jack,

That should work. The event is on the 15th but I am setting up my booth the 14th. (www.bugfest.org). So it looks like that is more than two weeks out. Ok on the B. borealis, looks like I have some coming from *** ***. I will try to paypal you this tonight from my wifes account. Do you want shipping sent separate? Thanks!

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 3:16 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

Hey Rick;

I normally need at least 2 weeks to collect a field request, and you have requested the following:

4 S. floridensis ($60)

2 G. grisea ($60)

2 T. graminis ($20)

That is a $140 order, so if you want to Paypal this amount to [email protected], and can give me 2 weeks to collect it, I will try and calculate the shipping later.

Normally, I require a $200 minimum order, and ask for a month, but these should be fairly easy to get.

Let me know if this fits into your schedule.

Thanks,

Jack

PS: I almost never see B. Borealis either.

Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 7:53 AM

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Richard Trone <[email protected]> wrote:

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 5:48 PM, John Koerner <[email protected]> wrote:

Aug 27

to exoticoddities

Sent the $140 via paypal. Thanks.

John Koerner

Aug 27

to me

Thank you, but I looked and I have not received a payment yet(??)

Jack

Aug 28

to John

Strange. We sent it last night. Should be under the name ***** *****.

Aug 28

to John

(From *****)

I misspelled your domain name, please forgive my end of the day spelling!!! You should have it now.

[email protected]

Aug 28

to me

I do, thank you J

Jack

Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:08 AM

(From *****)

[email protected]

Aug 28

to me

I have got it now, and I will go to work for you and report back after the weekend.

Cheers,

Jack

Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 5:23 AM

Strange. We sent it last night. Should be under the name ***** *****.

Aug 2

to exoticoddities

Thanks Jack.

[email protected]

Aug 29

to me

Hi Rick,

Found 1 of the 2 Grizzled Mantids you need last night, in my back yard, but they’re not fully-mature yet. About 3rd instar.

Will report back after this weekend, when I go on a couple of field trips sweeping for the rest.

Cheers,

Jack

Aug 29

to exoticoddities

Interesting. That's okay if they're not mature yet. Thanks.

Sep 5 (8 days ago)

to exoticoddities

Find anything else Jack?

[email protected]

Sep 6 (7 days ago)

to me

Sorry about not responding sooner, my dog got sick all last week and I had to put him down on Sunday, and I have been a wreck since.

By when do I have to get you these mantids?

I can probably catch the rest in 1 day, as I have the 2 grizzled mantids now.

Jack

Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 5:49 PM

Find anything else Jack?

Sep 6 (7 days ago)

to exoticoddities

Damn Jack sorry to hear about your buddy. Don't know what I'd do if mine had to be put down. But most likely I will have to deal with it eventually. It's too bad they can' t live longer. Need em before the 14th.

[email protected]

Sep 7 (6 days ago)

to me

Thank you very much.

I will have your complete order to you by Wednesday the 12th.

Jack

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2012 8:41 PM

Sep 10 (3 days ago)

to exoticoddities

Wanted to touch base with you again Jack. Hope all is well. Can't recall if I mentioned that USPS takes an extra day to reach me in most cases. For example, express is two days. Don't recall what shipping method you would be using. Again, I am heading to the event Friday afternoon. Thanks.

5:01 PM (2 hours ago)

to exoticoddities

Jack,

What's the deal? I have not received anything. You said I would have the items by yesterday. If I do not hear from you soon I will assume I have been taken and I will react accordingly.

[email protected]

7:04 PM (36 minutes ago)

to me

Excuse me buddy, but I refunded your money 2 days ago J

It was sent back to that woman’s account, but I guess you didn’t get the email.

Not burning you at all.

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:02 PM

7:23 PM (17 minutes ago)

to exoticoddities

And you couldn't bother to let me know?! Last thing I heard from you was that you would have my mantids to me by the 12th. You could have at least sent what you did find. I'm sorry, but that is NOT how you do business.

7:30 PM (10 minutes ago)

to exoticoddities

And another thing. I haven't been sitting around looking for a paypal refund, I have been sitting around looking for a package to arrive. Unbelievable

.John Koerner <[email protected]> Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM

To: Richard Trone <richard>

Easy does it, mouthy one.

The fact is, I let you know in the refund in the note with the refund.

It’s not my fault that woman (you used to pay your bills) didn’t let you know …

There is no reason to be nasty about it.

Jack

Richard Trone <richard.trone@> Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM

To: John Koerner <[email protected]>

I guess you're missing the point. I was not watching for a refund. I was watching for a package. You said this

order was good to go and would be here by the 12th. In my book this is not how you do business. And "that

woman" you keep referring to is my wife, and she was not watching her paypal for a refund neither of us

was expecting to receive in the first place. There is no need to further insult her. No need to email me again.

As far as I am concerned this deal was a failure and I am done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this someone you want to do business with? He states he attached a note to my paypal refund. However, we were not communicating through the email paypal is attached to. We had been communicating through this email. He knew I was emailing him through my email all this week but didn't bother to tell me he refunded my money until I mentioned I felt I was being taken. He states he owed me the goods if he could find them yet he said he DID find the grisea.

9/14/12 Gmail - RE: Looking....

Richard Trone <richard.trone@

>

RE: Looking....

[email protected] <[email protected]> Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:27 AM

To: Richard Trone <richard.trone@>

And as far as I am concerned, you’re a crybaby punk.

I owed you either 1) the goods (if I could find them), or a refund (if I could not).

I could not get the goods in time, and so I promptly issued you a refund and I sent you a note attached to

it.

It is not my f****** fault neither you nor your wife checked your GD email. YOU are the f****** idiot who

didn’t check your email, not me. I did everything I was supposed to do. Period.

So you owe me an apology, and if you can’t admit this like a man, then go f*** yourself.

Jack

9/14/12 Gmail - RE: Looking....

Richard Trone <richard.trone@gmail>

RE: Looking....

Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 5:20 AM

The point is is that I was not looking for a refund. The email attached to paypal isn't checked often. We were

communicating through THIS email account. Any normal person would send notice here where we have been

talking all along. And also I would expect you to send me what you said you DID find. Now John, grow up and go

away. You obviously have no idea how to be a professional businessman and I don't deal with non professionals.

Latest posts