• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Experiment to Oz

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfreak

Reaction score
Ive had a look and according to customs, im not allowed to import insects into Oz. But im horribly keen to get myself some giant asians or chinese mantids and am wondering if anyone has an ooth they'd be willing to try to post in the mail. Id obviously only keep them indoors as pets if it worked. Anyhow... just wondering... Id pay for shipping of course but im looking to pay as little as possible in case it doesnt arrive :(

:)

Ive had a look and according to customs, im not allowed to import insects into Oz. But im horribly keen to get myself some giant asians or chinese mantids and am wondering if anyone has an ooth they'd be willing to try to post in the mail. Id obviously only keep them indoors as pets if it worked. Anyhow... just wondering... Id pay for shipping of course but im looking to pay as little as possible in case it doesnt arrive :( :)
There is a VERY good reason they have these laws in Australia.

There is a VERY good reason they have these laws in Australia.
And very hefty fines if you get caught. I'd stick to Ozzie species, nothing wrong with them and you don't have the chance of accidentally releasing a new pest. So, DON'T do it.

How about sending out some of the unusual ooths from Oz instead

But im horribly keen to get myself some giant asians or chinese mantids...
superfreak,

Why not get a native Australian species like Hierodula majuscula (Giant Rainforest mantis). They are almost as big as Hierodula membranacea (Giant Asian mantis) and have much more interesting coloration. I would love to get an ootheca of this species!

You should be able to buy them here:

http://www.minibeastwildlife.com.au/Pets2.htm

Scott

Thanks everyone for the info! Ive been buying from minibeasts for a while - getting some rainforest mantids soon too!

Ive had so many people ask for ooths. This was an experiment to see how people would react to being the ones on the receiving end of one of those fines. Exportation laws, surprisingly enough, are just as stringent as the ones for importation.

Interestingly, there is a substantial black market trade here in exotic inverts (especially Ts) and its the only thing that lessens the hunting pressure put on natives.

Thanks again

:)

Interestingly, there is a substantial black market trade here in exotic inverts (especially Ts) and its the only thing that lessens the hunting pressure put on natives.

Hey Superfreak!

So you're looking to import (smuggle) "black market" mantises to save your natives! Now that's true altruism. :lol:

Aside from the problems that exotic imports always seem to bring, and Australia has had more than its share of ecological disasters in this area, there is also the problem of an imported or transported species outcompeting local mantises. Recently, Arkanis mentioned that S. Limbata, accidentally transported to W. California by chance, no doubt, were outcompeting S. californica. Everyone says, "But I'll be careful!" Do you feed your critters store bought crickets? Have you noticed the strange places where they turn up? :unsure:

I really enjoyed your pix, but its likely that that's as close as I'll get to them!

Last edited by a moderator:
:) i know, my point was, breeders arent letting their Ts run rampant. why would i do the same with mantids? But i also know that New Zealands had some problems with their native mantids being threatened by an import. Of course one could argue that on the mainland we've had various native species push each other into the 'threatened' category (within the Archimantids). Either way, Australias ecosystem has been so distrupted over the years that it is never going to become 'normal', so much so that you cannot now eradiacte any exotics without endangering natives.

In the end though, i suppose we dont know what could happen until it does, and it only takes one cage left open, so i think ill definitely be sticking to natve species!

You are awfully lucky though, with the whole mantid world to explore! :) Except Austrlia! Muhahahahaha! ;)

Latest posts