fabric mesh for cage - where to buy in uk and what type ?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nympho

Reaction score
Hi mantid fans. I want to make some mesh like dividers for my mantid cage. Anyone any idea where to buy a suitable fabric material in uk for this? I have already used some aluminium mesh from 'Homebase' but it is quite expensive considering the number of dividers I want to make and holes are also a bit big and let small prey through. I've also noticed a smell from aluminium when heated by a lamp which is not very nice, so I thought i'd look into fabrics instead but no idea what to buy or who from. help !

I always use 'Muslin'. Very good, small enough to stop fruitflys, big enough for good ventilation.. Pretty much any decent material/sewing/wool shop will stock it, they do in the south east anyway :)

Yeah, I could show you how we (my dad and I) make our lids for aquariums etc. Jackson you could do step by step on how to make a mantis cabinet lol

PseudoDave and ian. which particular shops can you find these things - there may be one round here. i'm not used to buying girly sewing things :?

on this site she makes net cages and also sells netting

http://www.virginiacheeseman.co.uk/

on the left hand side click netting cages then scroll down to the bottom for 2 different sizes

as well as making net cages is this good stuff to have as your lid over a jar ?

Muslin's nice and cheap, locally for me anyway. Strong, durable, easily cleaned if needed. Any of the suggestions here would be useful.

thanks for tips everyone! if I cant get muslin or cheesecloth locally from Hobbycraft I will send off for the black netting stuff from VC.

btw, while looking at her website I noticed a book called "The Praying Mantis Keepers Handbook" by Mike Jope. Has anyone read it - is it worth getting?

anyone know where to get some fully transparent netting?

it just dawned on me how cool it would be to have some that you can look through like you can through the container sides.

maybe some kind of fully transparent tights exist?..