Feeder fly container build

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HungryGhost

Reaction score
I made this container for feeder flies today. Any plastic container will work. I cut some vent openings in the lid and glued on some screen. In the center of the lid I cut a hole the size of a plastic pill bottle (this one happens to be a blue one from my dog). I cut the bottom of the pill bottle off and pushed the bottom through the underside of the lid and glued it in place. The stopper is made for stuffing around window air conditioners. Add pupae, close the lid, when flies hatch feed honey down center tube, remove foam stopper to transfer flies to cage or smaller jar. I haven't tried it yet, waiting for some house fly pupae to hatch. Fingers crossed.

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

Not too happy with it. The flies hang around on the screen vents and don't go in the tube. I think a simple hole with a foam stopper would have been better.

I don't know much about raising flies, but I would suggest perhaps putting the tube on the corner next time instead of the center. Then, when you need flies you can just pop them in the fridge to slow them down, tap it a few times, then tilt them into the corner so they fall into the tube.

Latest posts