Feeding after molting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morbo

Reaction score
How long should I wait to feed a mantis after it molts? I was thinking that I should give them a few days before feeding, but I read on some sites that I can start feeding them again 24 hours after. Does the exoskeleton really harden up again after only 1 day?

Thanks for any advice.

How long should I wait to feed a mantis after it molts? I was thinking that I should give them a few days before feeding, but I read on some sites that I can start feeding them again 24 hours after. Does the exoskeleton really harden up again after only 1 day?

Thanks for any advice.
Yes. I can't find any phyiological account of the time frame in hemimetabolous insects like mantids, but you can observe it in the dragonfly that crawls out of the water one evening, breaks out of its final nymphal skin and is ready to fly away next morning after much pumping of its wings. You can see the same thing in lots of holometabolous insects, from flies to butterflies. The drying-out period, when the chitin hardens after molting, is a period of great vulnerability to predation, so there will be a tendency to select for rapid hardening, all else being equal.

Yes. I can't find any phyiological account of the time frame in hemimetabolous insects like mantids, but you can observe it in the dragonfly that crawls out of the water one evening, breaks out of its final nymphal skin and is ready to fly away next morning after much pumping of its wings. You can see the same thing in lots of holometabolous insects, from flies to butterflies. The drying-out period, when the chitin hardens after molting, is a period of great vulnerability to predation, so there will be a tendency to select for rapid hardening, all else being equal.
Thanks. That does make sense. While I was thinking about this, I was comparing them to tarantulas (which do take several days at least to harden). But tarantulas do have their burrows and funnel webs to molt in.

I wait about 24 hours or the next scheduled feeding.