Feeding (correlation) size?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatsnotbombs

Reaction score
Can anyone walk me through the changes in food for the following species? I'm getting some and would like to know what's the smallest food I can feed them?

Creobroter Pictipennis (is it hydei the whole time? or until when are flies/crickets doable?)

Ghosts (is it hydei the whole time? or until when are flies/crickets doable?)

Budwings (hydei-crickets (and blue flies).

Ghosts up to L5 still seem to like hydei, but do take smaller crickets. My first order of flies was a complete waste of money and none hatched, and my new batch hasn't hatched out yet, but I'm hoping that they do soon. Ghosts don't seem to like crickets all that much, and besides, flies should be a better more natural option. A breeder recently told me he has been feeding honeybees.... So in the spring/summer that seems like a good option.

I don't have the last two species but Creos handle house flies from L3 (I'm guessing maybe even L2), and my L3 can take down a blue bottle fly (and the other day a grasshopper baby bigger than she is...). I fed her melanogaster when I first got her at L2 and she grabbed up raptorsful and stuffed them in her face like a little monster.

I started feeding my ghosts on housefly maggots, they all loved them. Then, I fed them tiny crickets, they ate them with ambition.

My budwings eat anything that is half their size and less. They have yet to show their true colors in hunting, but it's probably going to be good.