Feeding dead prey

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugmankeith

Reaction score
I got my mantis to eat dead prey like those Canned crickets when live prey isn't available.

I put the mantis on a large paper plate, take a dead insect and gently push it from the abdomen with a toothpick Very slowly, towards the mantis. She grabs it and eats it out of her cage, only downfall is trying to do it in the cage doesn't work

Last edited by a moderator:
i keep my wax worms in the freezer cause they last longer. They do die once frozen but stay fresh for as long as they last. Its like freezing meat. I unthaw the wax worms then rip the head off and squeeze the guts out. Then put it on the mantids mouth. They taste it, and know its food, and take it from my fingers. Doesnt work so well with nymphs, our fingers are too big, i use needles to feed small ones.

I target feed my Ghost Mantis with prey that I kill by stabbing . I don't mean to do this , but I need to make sure they are eating in their enclosure (it's a bit big and they don't move around much) . Plus dubias will just head straight for the leaf litter and emerge 6 months later as adults. So I imoblise them with a toothpick and wave it rite infront their faces . They have both caught on and don't even need to see it moving to take it . But these are fresh insects . I wonder if the dried feeders hold he same nutritional value .?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts