Feeding nymphs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sueb4653

Reaction score
ok so I got the ghost nymphs today very tiny, what is the best way to feed when I open the deli cup they rush to get on my hands lol tiny nymphs are hard to control lol

Open it carefully and then try to feed it like you normally do but carefully if the mantis goes where it is dangerous.

I've crushed quite a few of those little buggers between the lid and the cup. Try adding a feeding port and plug up with some sponge. remove sponge, add flies, and replace sponge.

`To be truthful ,I lost one,one time.After that I did the foam in the middle.I would drop some flies in a small measuring cup,with a spout on it for lack of better words,pour in the flies,Easy

+1

you just have to do it to get the timing right...but feeder port is the way to go....dollar store sponge cut into plugs

I recommend one of Rebecca's hex containers. It opens on the side so they can hang out on the ceiling and you won't disturb to feed. They're affordable too. I do recommend ventilating it very well. Otherwise, yeah, cut yourself a side port and use a funnel to feed.

Http://www.mantisplace.com

Once they grow a little, net cube is the way to go IMHO.

I house most nymphs in 32 oz insect cups. I make a hole in the side of the cups and use a small funnel to feed fruit flies through the hole. Since most mantids hang from the lid there is little concern of them escaping or being injured. When the hole is not being used I plug it with a foam plug.

I took one of those medium tupperware contaianers,looks like a small cooler with handle,drilled about 90 1/8 inch holes for ventilation,on each end drilled a 3/4 incn. hole.Foam on each end,still used the measuring cup,raised a bunch of ghost,those little buggers are too fast

Thats what I have done with the nursery container put a foam stopper in the top and got myself a funnel to get the feeders in those baby ghosts are just way to fast

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts