Feeding schedule

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hullswife

Reaction score
I have just finished a discussion on feeding my mantis while on vacation. This got me thinking, how often do you feed your mantis? I currently have Patty on an every other day schedule, but yesterday was her feeding day and I had no crickets so I hand fed her some cat food, but today just for curiosity sake I gave her two crickets just to make sure she had enough to eat. She has finished both crickets and would eat more. My question is this, how do I know she is getting enough to eat? I know that this sounds very ignorant, but I am very new and have only had Patty for about a month, so I don't know all the intricacies. Thanks in advance. Oh, I usually feed her around two crickets every other day until these questions came up.

If she is sub adult, (seeing her budwings appearing) she can have a couple 1/2" cricks a day or about 6bbs. Make sure she has water and I would stay away from other non live food. sometimes u can find a worm or moth outside for her, especially at night with a headlight or porch light when food is scarce, or worst situation, is to find some dog poo and catch a fly or two that way, but don't let the neighbors see u, at least wear some camouflage so they don't know who u r! :p

Okay! Thanks so much Hibiscusmile! I don't see any kind of buds for wings on her back, but she is still really young as far as I can tell, she measures about an inch (rounding up), and having molted twice since I have had her which is about a month, but I think that this is what I am going to do from now on as she seems to need to eat more recently. I will also break out my best camo and follow dogs in the park! LOL! I have only fed her cat food once and that was an emergency situation so I will not do it again, I promise! :)

I tend to overfeed mine, I think. I am thinking about toning it down a notch, as most of my babies are overweight. HEY JENNY!
laugh.gif

if you're in poo....try using horse's, less stinky for us, and if you step on it, much more easy to clean...

Every other day with the exception being gravid females who eat daily and as much as they can. The abdomen should be plump, not stretched to the max and not thin, but somewhere in the middle. That is how you know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts