Feeding Waxworms

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradoxica

Reaction score
I have a colony of Ghost mantises and just got 2 Idolo's,I had bought some waxworms a few weeks ago thinking that I'd let them pupate and then feed the wax moths to the idolo's since they like flying prey.I figured while I have them I might as well see if my Ghosts would eat them, and of course they wanted nothing to do with such crawly prey, even from my tweezers. BUT today I tried something new, I took the cold worms out of the fridge so they were easier to work with and let them crawl through a loop of sewing thread, I then lightly tightened it and dangled the worms infront of my adult females 3 out of the 4 took it instantly, my adult males would only strike at it but when I offered it to my smallest (an L6 male) he gobbled it up. I know this might be a bit much for a big time breeder with many mouths to feed but for me it was easy enough.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys...

I have a colony of Ghost mantises and just got 2 Idolo's,I had bought some waxworms a few weeks ago thinking that I'd let them pupate and then feed the wax moths to the idolo's since they like flying prey.I figured while I have them I might as well see if my Ghosts would eat them, and of course they wanted nothing to do with such crawly prey, even from my tweezers. BUT today I tried something new, I took the cold worms out of the fridge so they were easier to work with and let them crawl through a loop of sewing thread, I then lightly tightened it and dangled the worms infront of my adult females 3 out of the 4 took it instantly, my adult males would only strike at it but when I offered it to my smallest (an L6 male) he gobbled it up. I know this might be a bit much for a big time breeder with many mouths to feed but for me it was easy enough.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys...
I use this exact method when I run out of flies.

I've done it when I run out of flies. Waxworms are a poor food choice though so I would refrain from making that the primary diet.

I've done it when I run out of flies. Waxworms are a poor food choice though so I would refrain from making that the primary diet.
I have heard that they are too high in fat but is high fat truely bad for a mantis? Has anyone had a problem occur from too much fat in their diet?

Either way I was not planning to have this be a main feeder

Latest posts