Female or male?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumma

Reaction score
Chinese mantis L3

Thoughts? I feel like it's a lady... if that's the case, then they are ALL ladies. And they ate all the men. 

IMG_0974.JPG

I think it looks like a male actually.  The guide Rick posted is what I used when determining the genders of my Chinese mantids but to be honest I don't think I was sure until L5.  At L4, I thought I had two males, and in the next molt it became clear that one was a female.  So it's possible you'll have to wait a bit more to be sure.

Chinese Mantises are really hard to impossible to tell at lower instars. I think its not til L4 or L5 that you can even use the segment counting as both genders have the same number up til that point. At L4/L5 (I am not sure which) the last segments finally fuse together in the females. I had a heck of a time sexing mine until they got to L6. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Chinese Mantises are really hard to impossible to tell at lower instars. I think its not til L4 or L5 that you can even use the segment counting as both genders have the same number up til that point. At L4/L5 (I am not sure which) the last segments finally fuse together in the females. I had a heck of a time sexing mine until they got to L6. 
Aha so I guess that's what happened to me then.  I was quite sure I had two males until that next molt.