FF culture questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extrememantid

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I noticed that my fruit fly culture seems to have lowered in numbers by alot.. Though there are alot of the brown pupae (sorry I forget what they are called).. There are about 20-30 flies total.. And ive only had this culture since last Friday. Also these are D. Hydei. And I have read orins pinned post at the top of the section but this just confuses me.

-Cole

Not sure what the problem is. If you see a lot of pupa you will soon see a lot of flies. It isn't uncommon for many of the adults to die off followed by large numbers of new flies emerging. Like already mentioned, hydei are pretty slow compared to mels.

Yes the white ones will move the brown one is the ones will turn in to flies soon .... . and the culture is not for ever ... when flies start hatching the culture will last 2-3 weeks. So u'll need to find another container to make more culture ... or u can just buy ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the white ones will move the brown one is the ones will turn in to flies soon .... . and the culture is not for ever ... when flies start hatching the culture will last 2-3 weeks. So u'll need to find another container to make more culture ... or u can just buy ...
Ok how long till they hatch? And Rick what did he do?? If he was saying to buy more from him I don't see the problem as he is probably the only guy I would buy from or has them in Canada..

it depends on temps where you are. In southern California my hydei hatch in 15-20 days from the day I make the culture, and how much medium is in the container. I follow the Repashys directions, of 2/3 cup boiling water and 3 tablespoons medium, and my culture crashes around 40 days later.

Last edited by a moderator:
it depends on temps where you are. In southern California my hydei hatch in 15-20 days from the day I make the culture, and how much medium is in the container. I follow the Repashys directions, of 2/3 cup boiling water and 3 tablespoons medium, and my culture crashes around 40 days later.
. I think Albert made the culture almost 2 weeks ago... And it's around 20-23 degrees celcius in my house during the day. There were like 250 flies 5 days ago now none.

Latest posts