Field sweeping plankton

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristalochia

Reaction score
So I've found myself in need of small feeders and being as it's summer, I thought it should be pretty easy to go harvest some plankton, but I have never actually harvested them before, so I have a few questions.

Is tall grass the best place to find leaf hoppers and other tiny inverts?

Whats the best kind of net to use?

Do you have any tips for collecting that make life easier? time of day, sorting device?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions:)

Use a large sweep net and sweep tall grass. The time of day doesn't matter too much.

- MantisGirl13

Is tall grass the best place to find leaf hoppers and other tiny inverts?

Whats the best kind of net to use?

Do you have any tips for collecting that make life easier? time of day, sorting device?
I find more grasshoppers (I'm not familiar with land plankton) in my yard right around where the shadow of the house meets the edge of the light. I have more luck in the evening when the temp begins to fall. I'm in Florida, so I imagine good bug hunting areas are different from other climates. 

I purchased a cheap net which seems to work fine. The larger the opening, the better.

I found a mesh bag which cosmetics or something came in, so I attached a clip to attach to the net handle. I leave it on my patio table where it's ready to go. Saves time looking for net and bug container. The great thing about a mesh bag is that you can hold the feeder while slipping in your tongs or fingers. If I don't need the grasshoppers I catch that day I just put them in a cup with some grass clippings. They live long enough to last until feeding day. I usually give out the tiny insects right away as treats. ?

Happy hunting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Plankton? I'm picturing you out in the water with a plankton net and trying to feed it to your mantids. Never heard the term plankton used in this scenario!

Rick, lol thats not far from the truth.. after several failed purchase attempts for flies, I've resorted to harvesting mosquitos larvae from ponds. My dartfrogs and my mantids love them wiggly little buggers. Never thought breeding mosquito's would be something I'd consider..(I know, I know..Im CRAZY, but desperation calls for desperate measures;) )