First Of Many (Ideas)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeighRay

Reaction score
Hello all! 

I'm looking into finally getting my first mantids. Though I've gone looking on most websites for good beginner type mantids, I'd love your opinions and options, as I've never owned my own. Though I'd love to start with something large and fairly active, I'm open to any ideas. 

For the ones I've seen so far; Ghosts, Giant Rainforest, Chinese, Giant Africans, (maybe Shields?), are there any that are better than others to start with? 

Thanks!

Hello Leigh! If you're looking for something large and active I'd go with a giant African or giant Asian. They are very easy to care for and are big. Good luck!

I have only kept ghosts so far, they are a very beautiful species, but if you are looking for an active species, these are not fit for your desires. They are a quiet type of mantis that is beautiful to watch, they will often sit days in the same spot, very well camouflaged, only to move when a prey comes close enough. I would recommend the same as Connor, either the giant african or giant asian. Shields are harder to keep and pretty expensive, so I wouldn't take those as a first, and I've heard that with chinese a lot can go wrong during molts, legs get stuck or stuff like that.. Anyway, hope you had something about this, hope you make a good choice and have fun with your future pet! 

Most mantids with the Giant X mantis style names are good beginners, Giant shields, Giant asian, Giant Chinese, Giant african and so on and so forth

Latest posts