First time offering crickets

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CashPants

Reaction score
My Sphodromantis, Bruce, molted to L6 a few days ago and is just too big for the flies now. I am offering him crickets for the first time tomorrow, any advice on how to approach it? He has only had flightless flies in the past and I don't want him to get hurt by a feisty cricket.

Any advice would be welcome :)

Feed the crix some cereal and veggies(no carrots) first, then try to start with just one of the smallest crix you can grab, don't leave any crickets in over night.

Ok. Should I, and I feel bad for saying this, cripple the cricket in some way before I drop it in? Bruce hasn't eaten since the molt and I'm not sure how strong he is and how he would stand up against a cricket right now.

If he molted days ago he should be plenty hungry by now and will destroy a smaller cricket in no time, you shouldn't need to mess with the cricket in any way, it may make it not move around enough to draw his attention, but thats your call

Just drop it in. The mantis knows what to do.

They like crickets fine. I have fed carrotts and that shouldn't make a difference either, if the crickets are getting plenty of other food.

If the male is small and dainty then I prefer to feed a coulpe of small crickets rather than one large one. That is the probably the safest way if you worry that crickets can bite or kick a mantis.

I have seen mantids take down some huge crickets without any problems, provided that both the mantids and crickets are in good health.

Success! He has plowed through 3 1/2" crickets and now he's just sitting with one more in his raptors.

Once again, thank you for the help. You guys are so helpful :)

Latest posts