Fish fly season is in full swing here...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmina

Reaction score
in Michigan...

I figured I would get some pics of my beasts, enjoying the short season of the fish fly...

but first a short video... Sorry about the newscast in the background, didn't think it would be picked up so well... tried to get another video... but my mantis would not eat another.. just ran away from it??? Go figure...

https://youtu.be/sVXSFXWy4A4

I will try and get some more today...

I haven't seen those flies before, but it seems your mantids love them.
thumbs-up2.gif

Background noise is always a problem and why many drop in a music track. Perhaps in your video some eating sounds would be a better choice :D

in Michigan...

I figured I would get some pics of my beasts, enjoying the short season of the fish fly...

but first a short video... Sorry about the newscast in the background, didn't think it would be picked up so well... tried to get another video... but my mantis would not eat another.. just ran away from it??? Go figure...

https://youtu.be/sVXSFXWy4A4

I will try and get some more today...
Thanks everyone... I got a few more pics to add...

Where do you find them? I would love to find some here in Maine!
Around still/slow/non-moving fresh water, such as ponds, lakes, creeks. The nymphs actually live in the water until they molt to adults.

Then they shed their skins once and die the next day... they are here for about 3 weeks...

Mayflies are neat. They molt from their naiad, or aquatic nymph stage, and fly out of the water in order to land somewhere and undergo a second molt and increase their wing size before they fly around to find mates and lay eggs in their short day-long adult lifespan. They're the exception to the rule that insects do not molt after obtaining wings.

Latest posts