Flourescents as heat lamp?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Executor of Fruit Flies

Reaction score
OK, so I'm planning on using a 2-foot flourescent lamp as a heat source for the coming cold weather. It has 2 bulbs at 15 watts each. Will this provide enough heat for my spiny flowers, ghosts, and dead leafs? Should I block the light with tinfoil during the night to better simulate thae natural light cycle? And should I spray a bit more often to make up for the extra evaporation from heat? Thanks in advance.

incandescent and halogen bulbs create light through heat, about 90% of the energy they emit is in the form of heat ( infrared radiation ).

30% of fluorescent bulbs energy is heat, making them far cooler than regular bulbs.

though is it fluorescent that you actually meant?

. Any recommended wattages for a 18"X 36"(approx) area. I don't want my room lit up at night, so is it okay to cover the lamp with tinfoil?

Tin foil will keep the heat inside the foil and I imagine the bulb would blow. You can buy coloured bulbs (blue, red) but if you don't want any light I would just go for a heat mat to raise the night time temp

They make heat bulbs that don't put out any light.

Yeah. Neomydium heat bulbs dont produce any light at all. They come in 15 watts and up. You can find them at your local reptile retailer. No tin foil is necessary.

www.Geckospot.com

Latest posts