Forum members in the U.K.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrh3

Reaction score
do we have any members from the u.k. on here , im looking to speak to one, thanks. pm me please

Anyone noticed the push on the UK forum to stop the flow of mantids or ootheca here? Sure the laws, and other issues I just found it funny some of them venture her or other places asking us to send them stuff.

Anyone noticed the push on the UK forum to stop the flow of mantids or ootheca here? Sure the laws, and other issues I just found it funny some of them venture her or other places asking us to send them stuff.
I haven't noticed anything. Its just like here though, you're not supposed to talk about importing from or sending to the states because of the legality. Breeders there are just as likely to send to you still they're just not supposed to talk about it on the forum.

I recently saw a wanted ad on UKMF from someone in NY. He was told that it's against the law to import mantids and then his ad was "Locked" , he never said where he wanted to buy them from! Fortunately I was able to help him out though and told him about this place. That really bothered me that they would just say nope and lock the topic on him because he's in the US. NOT COOL.

I recently saw a wanted ad on UKMF from someone in NY. He was told that it's against the law to import mantids and then his ad was "Locked" , he never said where he wanted to buy them from! Fortunately I was able to help him out though and told him about this place. That really bothered me that they would just say nope and lock the topic on him because he's in the US. NOT COOL.
US members here can't talk about importing mantids from anywhere, and they cant even give breeder feedback to people in the UK or such. its the exact same here as there. The forums just protect themselves when it comes to the law like that.

US members here can't talk about importing mantids from anywhere, and they cant even give breeder feedback to people in the UK or such. its the exact same here as there. The forums just protect themselves when it comes to the law like that.
I agree with you Mike but I think the point of frustration Paradoxa is trying to get across is that although UK mantis forum is dominated by European hobbyists, there are several registered North American members that should be allowed to use the forum as a trading/selling resource too. Making an assumption that they would be trading illegally isn't fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you Mike but I think the point of frustration Paradoxa is trying to get across is that although UK mantis forum is dominated by European hobbyists, there are several registered North American members that should be allowed to use the forum as a trading/selling resource too. Making an assumption that they would be trading illegally isn't fair.
jrh3 just made a wanted ad on the Uk forum and two mods came on and reminded their users that its a risk to sell to the US and other countries. Warning that they could be prosecuted, but they have yet to lock the thread and shut it down.

I never saw the thread paradoxica is talking about, but I agree locking it right away is an over-reaction. Something like what they're doing now is more appropriate.

http://www.ukmantisforums.co.uk/mantis-wants/12871-looking-ooths.html

jrh3 just made a wanted ad on the Uk forum and two mods came on and reminded their users that its a risk to sell to the US and other countries. Warning that they could be prosecuted, but they have yet to lock the thread and shut it down.

I never saw the thread paradoxica is talking about, but I agree locking it right away is an over-reaction. Something like what they're doing now is more appropriate.

http://www.ukmantisforums.co.uk/mantis-wants/12871-looking-ooths.html
I agree, thats more reasonable :) .

If you think for a second there is not a new push on this subject you would be wrong, I have talked to and heard from UK members themselves. The thread in question over there was a completely aggressive stand on the subject and a statement. I do not care to go into the subject anymore myself but I can tell you for a fact a couple of the ones so outspoken have personally ask myself or other friends to ship there. Seems like the US hobby is only of use to them when they need something.

The way the thread was locked not only is disrespectfull to the OP putting them out there to get unwanted attantion on a legal issue but it speaks volume to the egos over there.

Would importing be ok if you had a permit? would you need a permit from both countries? just wondering not gonna do it. :)

I'm on the uk forum and on the staff. The locked thread puzzles me, I don't remember it but members can lock it themselves in classifieds. If locked it will mean people can reply by pm and not see but that there is no further discussion so could also be good for the seller. I was about to do a load of deleting on the latest thread as there is not meant to be a lot of chat in the classifieds. Thre is no new push on it but we do have a statement to cover the forum on 'its your responsibiility to check the import/export laws for whichever country..etc' and sometimes members post up the reminder but not on the back of staff room discussion.

Its swings and roundabouts, we have no native mantids in UK boo hoo, but that does mean we can import mantises.

And only one mod went on the reent thread, the other was an advisor, they have no moddy powers

Just found the locked thread, that does seem a bit wrong as us members could send to each other. We will have a staff room discussion and get some guidelines on how sales abroad are handled.

I found it, and edited my post to reflect that at about the same time you posted the link so it might be better to hide the op of the thread you linked for, but just copy some of the replies if you want.

I was the one to lock the above thread and was also the mod to be involved in the 'action' today.

Nobody is perfect and the locked thread couldve been dealt with better,I believe what I did today to be far more inline with how it should be handled.

Don't think it needs to be any more than that to be fair,would be happy to talk to both OP's individually if they so desire :)

Bug Trader said:
And Mike if you feel like their use of public feedback on want ads is ok I didnt see you stepping up to tell them its very much illegal in Canada when you wanted something........
well first off its not very much illegal, mantids fall into a massive grey area that a hundred emails to the federal government couldnt get me a straight answer for. and second, I'm not a mod or advisor or whatever on the uk forum or this one, its not part of my responsibility to make sure the forum isn't taken down for openly stating they were breaking the law by importing/exporting on the forum.

Some members have always been against shipping to the US, some have always been fine with it. Some people refuse to send anything out of country, and I'm willing to bet the people asking you to mail them stuff are not the same people who turn down sending things to the US. A forum has hundreds of different people on it each with different ideals. not one hivemind with one code.

I have edited out some of the unnecessary posts on this subject and reopened the thread. The deleted posts either mentioned the names of other members or the content seemed more appropriate for the personal messenger system (private arguments). I recommend we just leave the conversation here as we're all mantis hobbyists and it's good for our hobby if we have members who participate on multiple forums.

Just to clarify, US members are discouraged from discussing on this forum the import and export of exotic material into and out of the US. International members are free to buy/sell/trade their material on this forum as they wish, and (hopefully) with respect to the laws of their countries.