Freezing flys?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.J.

Reaction score
I just had some fresh dead flys but instead of wasting them I froze them. Are they re usable?

Last edited by a moderator:
they are good for feeding a mantis that is hard to feed, take a few out and smosh then together and put on toothpick to offer to one or another one. Still good nutrition if they were fresh and fresh frozen.

Dubias may eat them

My dubias eat dead stuff I throw in the cage

A mismolted pseudoharpax, a cricket I killed with a broom because it was driving me up a wall, my sister's thumb-JK

But they'll eat dead stuff no prob B)

I over froze a large BB yesterday and thought about this thread. Instead of making the dead fly into cricket food, I gave it to a mantid that had nothing since it ate a bee earlier in the day, so I put the fly in with the female adult Creo and she went for it as long as it was right out of the freezer and smelled fresh and it was moving in the container not just sitting there. I had given the whole thing a little shake so it looked alive for the split second that it took the Creo to nail it in her raptorals. There is always something new to try. If one fails, one learns, if one at first succeeds, there also is an easier lesson learned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use fresh dead bugs all the time. Use a pair of tweezers, and shake the bug in front of the mantid's face, they will grab and eat.

That which is obvious to some is not so with others. Sometimes it works in reverse with the innovative person not seeing something that is second nature to another person.

+1

I keep (or kept) dead flies in the freezer for emergencies. I usually soak them for a while before feeding with tongs.

Sporeworld, that really made me giggle fairplay. I dont think theres many other places/people around that would understand how a frozen fly could solve an emergency lol :)

haha, nice to see u spore! good idea, soaking! gotta go soak me feet, worked with bubby today, came home an slept for 4 hours, got a chill, grannyma getting to old for construction!

:)

I'm convinced a sort of protien patty or bar could be made from overstocks of BB's and House flies. I never got around to doing it, but I just can't see any nutritional negatives. Big, fat, (over) fed flies, frozen, then later formed into some kind of pellet. Hope someone can experiment with it, and report the results.

Latest posts