fruit flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebrakacinese

Reaction score
I've been culturing the same ffs since the beginning of nov.I'm beginning to notice a few winged flies flying around.Is it possible that they can umutant this mutation,just wondering I have several good cultures ,because the ooths i hopefully will be hatching the first of next month.Has anyone ever exprienced this?

Ah. yes. Superfreak explained this several years ago, when some members were sure that it was due solely to contamination by wild flies, as genetic drift. Genetic drift is not an evolutionary process but a means of recovering from an evolutionary misstep.

In the case of flightless FFs, for example, a mutant gene supresses the full development of the wings. Normally, such a strain would die out almost immediately due to being outcompeted by flying flies, but under unusual conditions, the most common of which is selective breeding, you can obtain a "pure" recessive strain. The alleles for flight are still present, of course, but unexpressed. However, whether the trait is advantageous or not, the opposite allele will occasionally be expressed, and if conditions do not favor the mutant allele but the original, "dominant' one, then the population will drift back to its original phenotype. This is a particularly sad fact of raising "fancy" tropical fish such as guppies. Sooner or later, your lovely strain will "revert to type".

In a recent, hijack discussion on another thread, someone, Zephyr, as I remember, advanced a friend's theory that a new captive population of cockroaches, say, would be more resistant to disease, because after the first outbreak of disease, all of the survivors would have immunity which they would pass on to their offspring. Zephyr has made interesting comments and observations here for years, and I thoroughly enjoyed this idea; it ties in nicely with the research on an immune factor among humans who survived the plague. Alas, though, nature is not that obliging. Whatever diease, viral or bacterial, that afflicted our hypothetic roach colony, it was probably due to bad luck or bad husbandry, with an emphasis on the latter. Immunity would only be conferred against the specific organism -- one of a great number -- that caused the initiial outbreak. If a daughter colony was maintained free from infection, and specifically the original infection, genetic drift would act as described above.

Writing this gave me a pleasant break from scrubbing the top of my refrigerator, which refuses to give up its grime without a struggle. Thank you.

Ah. yes. Superfreak explained this several years ago, when some members were sure that it was due solely to contamination by wild flies, as genetic drift. Genetic drift is not an evolutionary process but a means of recovering from an evolutionary misstep.

In the case of flightless FFs, for example, a mutant gene supresses the full development of the wings. Normally, such a strain would die out almost immediately due to being outcompeted by flying flies, but under unusual conditions, the most common of which is selective breeding, you can obtain a "pure" recessive strain. The alleles for flight are still present, of course, but unexpressed. However, whether the trait is advantageous or not, the opposite allele will occasionally be expressed, and if conditions do not favor the mutant allele but the original, "dominant' one, then the population will drift back to its original phenotype. This is a particularly sad fact of raising "fancy" tropical fish such as guppies. Sooner or later, your lovely strain will "revert to type".

In a recent, hijack discussion on another thread, someone, Zephyr, as I remember, advanced a friend's theory that a new captive population of cockroaches, say, would be more resistant to disease, because after the first outbreak of disease, all of the survivors would have immunity which they would pass on to their offspring. Zephyr has made interesting comments and observations here for years, and I thoroughly enjoyed this idea; it ties in nicely with the research on an immune factor among humans who survived the plague. Alas, though, nature is not that obliging. Whatever diease, viral or bacterial, that afflicted our hypothetic roach colony, it was probably due to bad luck or bad husbandry, with an emphasis on the latter. Immunity would only be conferred against the specific organism -- one of a great number -- that caused the initiial outbreak. If a daughter colony was maintained free from infection, and specifically the original infection, genetic drift would act as described above.

Writing this gave me a pleasant break from scrubbing the top of my refrigerator, which refuses to give up its grime without a struggle. Thank you.
Use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser!

And a bit of Murphy's Oil Soap is helpful too!

I have noticed that in my "flightless" melanogaster cultures, some started to fly when I tried feeding out of their cup! I attributed this to them being kept in the warmer bug/herp room, as I have heard that keeping them at higher temperatures will cause them to become flighted (maybe Phil can shed some light as to why this happens). ;) I destroyed the one culture that had the flying flies in it and removed the still-flightless ones to the house, where they would stay cooler. I haven't had any more instances of them becoming flighted.

My suggestion would be to destroy any cultures you see winged ones in and start over with pure stock (or keep culturing your own pure stock). Unless, of course, you *want* winged ones. I'm curious as to whether these guys fly or just have wings? If they are melanogasters, they may very well start flying off on you in subsequent generations! (One idea to "purify" your own stock might be to freeze them briefly, so that they are stunned and pull out ONLY individuals that have no wings for the next culture....doing this should last you a few generations before having to re-purify...of course, you might need to purify & selectively breed for a few generations before you have a stable "pure" stock again.) Sounds like fun, eh? :blink:

Good luck!

Yeah for the members of this forum.Since it has'nt got bad yet,I'll use what cultures i can ,and start with pure flies new cultures.

I prefer flying to non-flying melanogasters. ;) I've never been able to get my D. hydei to revert to flying though. If you don't want your cultures (with the few flying individuals in them) to eventually become all flying... you'll pretty much have to start with fresh stock. Before I figured out how much better flying mels worked for me, I did try for a while to weed out the flying individuals in hopes of retaining wholly flightless cultures. I would take the cultures outside (or hold them out an open window), knock them down by tapping the culture, open the lid for a few seconds to let the flying ones fly out, then crash the lid back on before the flightless ones climbed to the top... repeating this several times until I couldn't see any more flying around inside the culture. But it never really worked. I would always find more flying ones in the next batch of offspring. Don't discount the merits of having flying ff's though... there's some great benefits to them! The downside is... you invariably find them in other parts of the house on a continual basis, which can be pretty irritating.

PS... If you never look on top the fridge, you'll never know it's dirty!
EmbarrassedSmile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts