Fruit Fly Conversation

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d17oug18

Reaction score
Hello Mantisarians,

Ok, i have a small problem, Around 1 in 50 cultures i make get moldy, inhabited or not(i make alot of cultures without flies in it). I was wondering if this happens to anyone else, I use potato flake, honey, vinegar(reg. white), water and i mix in it yeast. I dont know what the deal is nor why this happens, if this helps; it happens around the world. Ive had complains from china to california! and i dont understand the random-ness of this problem... i just take the loss and empty and rewash the cup and use it again.

Thanks for the answers in advanced =)

Douglas

Cleaning the cups very well between uses helps. The thing is mold can be everywhere, on your excelsior or on the lids or anything. Especially once it happens, it can spread very easily. I would suggest throwing out these cultures when you see it. Some mold seems to not affect the culture, but once it grows I toss it (wash everything). I use dishwasher soap to wash them out and let them air dry.

One thing to do is microwave each culture after making them. Leave out the flies of course and the active baker's yeast. If there's mold on anything this will stop it. For 1 culture I'd do 30-45 seconds. I do 4 at a time and microwave them for 2 minutes or a little yes. If your still getting mold after this, then something near by is spreading mold to them, especially if your getting mold soon rather than later in the cultures lifespan.

Obviously you know how to make cultures, but here is a thread I made detailing the microwaving part.

A Guide to Making FF Cultures

I also suggest some brewers or nutritional yeast. It has the protein that the FF's need.

i forgot about the microwave part, i use dish soap and hot water to clean them, which i imagine the hot water kills anything but ill still microwave it just to be safe =) Thanks for the input, good to know im not the only one that this happens to.

This is the main reason I use commercial medium with mold inhibitor. It is a rare culture that gets mold when using it.

I have not had any mold since adding 2 steps (I've been using them both, so I can't evaluate the usefulness of one to another).

1 I use boiled water, so of course I have to wait for a cool down to add the alcohol, yeast, FF adults.

2 I have been making sure to add more adults than I used to. I wonder if the extra adults cause extra larva which eat the mold better/faster.

The culture still sits around no matter what you do. Mold is airborn, and while I don't know, I doubt the screen we use is enough to keep it out.

This is the main reason I use commercial medium with mold inhibitor. It is a rare culture that gets mold when using it.
Can you tell me where you buy this commercial medium, and the name brand, please? I've got parrots (who can get very sick if exposed to mold) so I need to be careful about my ff.

Can you tell me where you buy this commercial medium, and the name brand, please? I've got parrots (who can get very sick if exposed to mold) so I need to be careful about my ff.
Alot of people uses Joshsfrogs FF media.

www.joshsfrogs.com

Look under "food and nutrition".

I make my own, but alot of people uses joshs. Never used it, but have heard good things from his media.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone who answered my question. I just ordered a small bag of media from Carolina Biological Supply to get me started. ^^

Latest posts