Fruit Fly Cookies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
A month ago I was caught with the cupboard bare and two L3 budwings on the doorstep. In a panic, I ordered a 32 oz starter kit of Hydei. I'd never run a kit like this before. After several weeks, the media appeared dried out and crystalized. There were larvae and pupae, but most were not moving and I assumed it was a failed culture. And in the meantime, I went from two hungry mouths to just one. About four days ago I glanced at the dead Hydei culture. Hmmmmmm. Rather than 20 tired flies there seemed to be 100. Next day the container looked like a Tokyo subway at 6 PM. The following day there were six hundred and fifty five scillion ffs (I counted them).

650,000,000,000,000,000,000 ffs and 1 L3.

Put some of these beasts in PonderMouse's condo this evening (about 20 ff). Wish I could have videoed it. The egg-laden female flies are as big as Buicks and must be like Beluga caviar to Ponder. She was grabbing two at a time, one with each little raptor. PonderMouse must think she's in Ruths Chris Steakhouse - on an open charge account. No yucky chitin (C8H13O5N) to crunch through. Just delectable, soft, gooey, caviar-filled goodness. She calls them cookies.

Yeah I get a kick out of the greedy ones! ff in one raptor and then one goes struting by on a friday night and next thing you know snap, ff in the other raptor!

A month ago I was caught with the cupboard bare and two L3 budwings on the doorstep. In a panic, I ordered a 32 oz starter kit of Hydei. I'd never run a kit like this before. After several weeks, the media appeared dried out and crystalized. There were larvae and pupae, but most were not moving and I assumed it was a failed culture. And in the meantime, I went from two hungry mouths to just one. About four days ago I glanced at the dead Hydei culture. Hmmmmmm. Rather than 20 tired flies there seemed to be 100. Next day the container looked like a Tokyo subway at 6 PM. The following day there were six hundred and fifty five scillion ffs (I counted them).650,000,000,000,000,000,000 ffs and 1 L3.

Put some of these beasts in PonderMouse's condo this evening (about 20 ff). Wish I could have videoed it. The egg-laden female flies are as big as Buicks and must be like Beluga caviar to Ponder. She was grabbing two at a time, one with each little raptor. PonderMouse must think she's in Ruths Chris Steakhouse - on an open charge account. No yucky chitin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon'>C8H13O5N) to crunch through. Just delectable, soft, gooey, caviar-filled goodness. She calls them cookies.
You are too funny! I now have spat soda on my keyboard twice 'cause of you. Well done!

Latest posts