Fruit Fly Culture Expiration Date?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtkeens

Reaction score
What happens when a culture goes past its expiration date? Mine is still producing flies and I don't want to have to throw out a perfectly good culture.

I've tried to find some posts for you as I asked that question too last year but can't find them. Basically it seems everyone uses the cultures until the fly population starts to die off, no matter how long it has been past the "expiration" date.

I've had my cultures since December, and on average they last about a month before they die off. It just depends on how much food is left, and I've had some last upwards of 6 weeks.

I like to keep them in various stages so I always have some producing. For example I keep at least 4 cultures of each fly variety, and when one culture starts a fly population explosion in growth I'll use the excess flies to restart a dead/dying culture by reusing the old culture cup (washing it out, putting in fresh food/medium, and cotton balls).

In just a a few weeks time you can usually triple your culture cups if needed by using the extra flies when a culture starts to take off. I keep about 19 cultures of my 3 fruit fly varieties. Which is more than I'll ever use, but it allows me not to worry about dying cultures or if I will have enough flies for my mantis nymphs (and allows me to trade/give/sell any extra flies for new cultures too). ;)

I've tried to find some posts for you as I asked that question too last year but can't find them. Basically it seems everyone uses the cultures until the fly population starts to die off, no matter how long it has been past the "expiration" date.

I've had my cultures since December, and on average they last about a month before they die off. It just depends on how much food is left, and I've had some last upwards of 6 weeks.

I like to keep them in various stages so I always have some producing. For example I keep at least 4 cultures of each fly variety, and when one culture starts a fly population explosion in growth I'll use the excess flies to restart a dead/dying culture by reusing the old culture cup (washing it out, putting in fresh food/medium, and cotton balls).

In just a a few weeks time you can usually triple your culture cups if needed by using the extra flies when a culture starts to take off. I keep about 19 cultures of my 3 fruit fly varieties. Which is more than I'll ever use, but it allows me not to worry about dying cultures or if I will have enough flies for my mantis nymphs (and allows me to trade/give/sell any extra flies for new cultures too). ;)
Thanks. I've got some cups arriving in the mail so that I could make more. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't hurting my mantis.

Thanks. I've got some cups arriving in the mail so that I could make more. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't hurting my mantis.
Nope, doesn't hurt a thing - that is how flies are done (you are just cutting out the middle man).

Eventually though the flies will regain the ability to fly, usually the 6th, or 7th generation - some of mine are nearly that and I do get a occasion one in my Melanogaster that can fly.

At that point you can order new ones from a supplier that are flightless again (seems they are genetically altered or simply x-rayed to destroy the flying ability), or live with it. I'm thinking I may live with it until it becomes a problem with escapes when feeding my mantises.

Eventually though the flies will regain the ability to fly, usually the 6th, or 7th generation - some of mine are nearly that and I do get a occasion one in my Melanogaster that can fly.
I've seen people mention this before, but I've had generations of both species going for a few years now and I've never had any problems with them regaining flight.

I've seen people mention this before, but I've had generations of both species going for a few years now and I've never had any problems with them regaining flight.
That's great, have to ask where did you get your cultures from? So far I've only had fliers from my Melanogaster, my Hydei and Turkish Gliders haven't had the issue.

That's great, have to ask where did you get your cultures from? So far I've only had fliers from my Melanogaster, my Hydei and Turkish Gliders haven't had the issue.
I got my melanogaster from Petco. As for Hydei those were from a local petstore that carries exotics.

I got my melanogaster from Petco. As for Hydei those were from a local petstore that carries exotics.
Ah, where the pets go. :D

I'll have to see about getting some new Melanogasters next time I am near one then, thanks for the response.

If you've got a PETsMART they carry vial cultures of D. hydei. Mines usually found around the reptile / Fish section.

Ah, where the pets go. :D

I'll have to see about getting some new Melanogasters next time I am near one then, thanks for the response.
I'm not sure I would actually recommend them for fruit flies. Their cultures are always so disgustingly old. Like to the point where you aren't even sure if there will be enough to start a new culture. At the time it was more about the convenience of being able to walk into the store and pick one up that day. Well, no shipping cost was a plus too. As LAME mentioned, I've heard of PetSmart carrying them too, but none down here seem to carry them.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happens when a culture goes past its expiration date? Mine is still producing flies and I don't want to have to throw out a perfectly good culture.
I did some more digging on the topic, and those that kill off cultures after 3 weeks typically for a "expire date", do so as they say mite infestations and mold growth are more of a problem beyond that time.

Also some will keep the cultures individually on metal cookie sheets or pie pans with a layer of Vaseline (or any petroleum jelly) around the entire edge of the metal, and some go a step farther and add water in the pie pans too - all to prevent mites from spreading to all their cultures if there is any problems.

So far I haven't had any of the problems so I can't comment on how effective any of it really is. I guess I've been lucky so far. ;)

I'm not sure I would actually recommend them for fruit flies. Their cultures are always so disgustingly old. Like to the point where you aren't even sure if there will be enough to start a new culture. At the time it was more about the convenience of being able to walk into the store and pick one up that day. Well, no shipping cost was a plus too. As LAME mentioned, I've heard of PetSmart carrying them too, but none down here seem to carry them.
I'll have to check out both next time, I have those and a few smaller pet stores in a nearby city. When I was looking to buy some originally I called and both stores had them in "glass jars" for under $10.

Even if I get some I will continue my current Melanogaster strain as well - i think if it isn't too big of a hassle the mantises would enjoy the flying ones more.

Do you mean an actual expiration date on the container? Never heard of such a thing. They expire when they start drying out and stop producing flies, not when some magical date is reached. Buy some medium and some containers and make your own.

Latest posts