Fruit Fly Culture Mold

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1_collection

Reaction score
I recently made an emergency fruit fly culture because I am running low. I transferred a screen mesh from the old culture to the new culture and about two days later I discovered mold.

The mold grows thickly and is white to a green tint. I assume this mold is not harmful and a dark black mold is the one I should be aware of.

My culture consists of potato flakes, a large amount of vinegar, water, and yeast.

Thanks

it is ok, but would start another one, are u using a receipe off the net? sometimes stuff transfered is contaminated and cause mold, but really no real way to escape it, it is always there, either a lot or a little.

You do not have to wait, just start one, use the potatoes, about a cup, put 3/4 of cup hot water with some yeast granuals in it and 1/2 teaspoon sugar to activate the yeast, in with the potatoes, put a spoon of sugar and when the yeast starts to float to top with fat little particals it is ready to go in potatoes, put in a spoon of white vinegar in yeast water and add them mix it all up, that should look like mashed taters for you, if to dry add more warm water, to wet, more taters, let sit an hour or two then add some of your hydei, not to many but some, within a week in both cultures u will see little maggots, then u r on the way. it dont take a lot to lay eggs for you, keep them warm and it will be fine.

ok! I got it now
wink.gif

Latest posts