fruit fly

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bono007

Reaction score
I have the fruit flys in a 32 oz container with media in there. To feed the mantis I have been refridg. the fruit flies for about 5-10 mins. then pouring them out. in to the mantis container. Now my question is this, how are you getting the fruit flies in to the mantis containers? I think their is a better mouse trap but I don't know what is is. Can someone tell me how they get the flies out of the container with out every fly in the container coming out?

5-10mins ? the FF will be dead , I only put them in for 30-60 seconds . they will be stun for 30-60 second then you use a funal to feed it to ur mantis

Many use a funnel as stated above. I just pour a few in by popping the corner of the lid open, and shaking a few out.

I tap on sides, pop the lid, pour flies into mantid containers. Tap the sides a few times again, them re-cap the lid.

yeah I looked and asked and the bottom line is what you see above.

personally I pop my Blue bottles and houseflys in fridge first (for bigger mantids)

then take an empty 32 oz delicup and tap the fruitfly culture down nice and hard to shake the flys to bottom.

open FF deli and tap desired amount into empty deli...then real fast tap both down a few times (knocks down the crawlers) then put the lids back on. FF cup goes back in garage and the "empty" deli with new "dinner" goes in fridge.

then use a funnel to distribute to mantids in delicups with a pop back in fridge if FFs start "sticking" or crawling up the sides again. trial and error but you will get the hang...learning curve: timing is everything...lol

I have never put ff's in the fridge or freezer. If they're flightless you can simply tap them to the bottom. My method is to put a small funnel into one of those fruit fly vials and tap the flies from the 32oz cup into the small vial and then use the funnel and vial to transfer into the mantis enclosures. Works great.