fruitfly problem

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can open the culture and tap it, the flying ones will fly away, the flightless ones will fall back down. Do it a couple times and it should go back to being flightless.

By the way, I think the chance of a flying melanogaster sneaking in the culture is higher than them reverting. The only times I've had flying ones is when ants ate a hole in my culture cup lid and flying wild ones got inside and laid eggs. I have no idea how they got in my room but they did. They can start laying in the media when you leave the media out to cool as well.

You can open the culture and tap it, the flying ones will fly away, the flightless ones will fall back down. Do it a couple times and it should go back to being flightless.

By the way, I think the chance of a flying melanogaster sneaking in the culture is higher than them reverting. The only times I've had flying ones is when ants ate a hole in my culture cup lid and flying wild ones got inside and laid eggs. I have no idea how they got in my room but they did. They can start laying in the media when you leave the media out to cool as well.
Good simple solution, thanks! I'll have to try it but modified a bit to capture the flying ones too. ;)

Most likely true, but in mine I know we haven't had any wild fruit flies since August and I got my Melanogasters in December. So far just a few insects are starting to show up lately this year, and my cultures had some flying ones mixed in about a month ago.
astonished.gif

Get rid of them and start over with a new batch of flightless. This happens over time.

Can't you just stick'em in the fridge for a few minutes like regular flies? Then flight is irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do what Aryia says. I open my containers and let the flying ones into a net. I usually do this every other day for a while.

And they might not really be fruit flies. I think Orin or someone else mentioned something getting into cultures. This sometimes happens to me when I re-use lids too many times. Once I discover anything flying in mine, I replace the lid. If I look closely, sometimes I find really tiny holes in the lids.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this problem with my wingless melanogasters but never had this problem with my winged melanogasters. I wonder why... I always thought it was a genetic thing.

Latest posts