• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: Ferocious Water Bugs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Clausen

Reaction score
Fresh captive-hatched nymphs of these mantis-like water bugs (Abedus herberti). Care requirements are similar to those of mantids, but with fewer molting issues. One difference, obviously...they live in water! They eat all the same foods as mantids of similar sizes so they make an uncomplicated addition to any mantis keeper's live collection. Lifespan is also similar to that of mantids.

Here is a life cycle video I found on YouTube:

Hatchling nymphs $7

Adults $10

Shipping as low as $5 to most US destinations with live arrival guarantee.

Interested in ordering other bugs with your water bugs? Just ask!

(Photo is of closely related species from Oregon.)

belostomatid_oreg1a_web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few questions.

1.) How do you feed them? Do you just throw a cricket into the water or do they need to eat things that live in the water?

2.) Are the nymphs able to live in the same tank?

3.) Are they easy to breed?

4.) Can you sell the nymphs in pairs? (Male and Female)

Thanks

Good questions!

1. If you drop the feeder insect near the water bug it will swim towards it and capture it with raptorial forelegs just like a mantis does. There are two significant differences. First, the water bug stabs the prey insect with its rostrum and injects a solution that helps to paralyze the prey. Simultaneously, it drowns its prey.

2. Nymphs are not considered communal after they've begun to feed, though adults are.

3. I don't have much experience with breeding them, nor does anybody else I think. I imagine a number of people have had limited success with their limited attempts. I do imagine that they are easy with enough experience, but that is more a philosophical point than a helpful one.

4. I am not able to sex the water bugs, sorry. I may, however, do some group pricing;-)

Thanks for your helpful questions!

I have a few questions.1.) How do you feed them? Do you just throw a cricket into the water or do they need to eat things that live in the water?

2.) Are the nymphs able to live in the same tank?

3.) Are they easy to breed?

4.) Can you sell the nymphs in pairs? (Male and Female)

Thanks

Latest posts