Funny or unique experiences with feeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malakyoma

Reaction score
So its been 24 hours since my Hierodula majusculas molted to L4, and I grabbed a small cricket to see if the one I was feeding first would take it. Well she did, and began eating even as the cricket grabbed on to the screen and tried to run away. The funny part of this story comes from that she ate her fill, and dropped the cricket, which was missing a big chunk out of its back and right side, but was actually still alive a little bit. Wasn't as active as your typical cricket but I can understand that having just been eaten. So I put this half-dead cricket into the other majuscula's enclosure, and it kicked just enough for her to want it and she grabbed it. She's in the process of eating now. I thought it was funny that after getting eaten by one majuscula, the cricket was still alive enough to get grabbed by a second. What are your funny or unique stories about feeding time?

Well, two years ago I gave my presub chinese mantis a medium sized cricket, and he grabbed right on and began eating. However, the cricket began biting on his raptorials, and you could see that he was a little agitated. Next thing you know it, he shoves his mouth INTO the cricket's mouth (insect version of French kissing?) and proceeded to bite the cricket's mouth off. After finishing off the mouth, he began working on the rest of the cricket's body.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Chinese, Bear Claw, grabbed her first pinhead. As she was eating it, it was twitching a rear leg and it kept conking her in the head.

I think this one loosely qualifies as a feeding story...

Just before Thanksgiving I had many ooth hatch at once and I ran out of fruit flies. All my local petshops were out or their cultures had crashed. Since my dad lives a few blocks from a petco I sent him a text asking if he could pick up some FLIES (as he had done for me once before). An hour later I get a call from him saying he's been sitting in holiday traffic but he finally got to Marie Calendars and wanted to know what kind of PIES I wanted! Turns out my phones auto-correct decided I couldn't possibly be asking for flies. He was a bit upset about the wasted time, but it gave me something to talk about when we went around the table to say what we were thankful for, my awesome dad.

I got one. My Multispina apparently loves Cricket legs. I guess they're like Chicken legs to her. Twice she has grabbed a cricket, tore a leg off, and let the rest of the Cricket go, while eating the leg only. How sweet of her...

I got one. My Multispina apparently loves Cricket legs. I guess they're like Chicken legs to her. Twice she has grabbed a cricket, tore a leg off, and let the rest of the Cricket go, while eating the leg only. How sweet of her...
at least the crickets still alive to get eaten by another mantis lol

Sometimes when I hand feed mine they will grab my finger and start eating me instead. Not sure if it's by mistake or I just taste better.

Latest posts