Funny story

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loislane

Reaction score
So, we have a peacock mantis. We got him last November as a pre sub adult (so the store told us) and he molted to adulthood about 2 months ago. The last few days he's not been moving much and it looked like his abdomen was starting to crack so I was a bit worried. Got home from work today and there's what looks very much like a dead mantis hanging exactly where I left him this morning. I'm feeling sad, as you would be, and I get his body out of the terrarium. Then I look at the body... it looks a LOT like a molted exoskeleton. Except he was already an adult. And I can't see a mantis anywhere in the terrarium. Suddenly I spot a massive mantis (compared to the one I left at home this morning) camouflaged against the fake rock backing to his terrarium. He molted!!!!! So what I thought were folded wings were clearly just wing buds. He's now an adult. And I feel like very silly for not knowing what an adult peacock mantis should look like!!!! In my defence, this is only our first adult mantis 😆

Lol :)

I am glad you figured it out! Congratulations on the molt!

- MantisGirl13

Ah thats a happy end story. Congratulations!

Would you like to post a photo? 😀