G. gongylodes

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neps

Reaction score
I've read in a number of places that G. gongylodes does not stalk its prey -- that it is an ambush predator and essentially stationary, waiting exclusively for prey to come to it. However, I've now observed that it does, in fact, stalk quite readily. On a number of occasions, I have observed nymphs to actively chase flies for up to 10 cm, and then catch them! However, this only occurs when they are sensing air movement. Under such circumstances, they begin to sway, and if the situation warrants it (i.e., prey is present) they will actively and aggressively pursue prey. My specimens are well fed, and I therefore do not attribute this behavior to a state of malnutrition. I'm curious to know if others have made this observation....

:) you are infact 100% correct LOL , but I do notice this more in the young than the adult but even the adults will also go after prey :) Enjoy them !

Mine do the same. They are also good at catching flies in mid air.

That is the way most mantis nymphs will do Jeff, especially the younger ones, in order to grow up quick they cannot miss out any opportunity taking down any posible prey, this behaviour have been noticed for all the mantis species at young stages for me. Sometimes you will see two or even three mantis going at the same prey together.

Latest posts