Galeodes deserti

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psyconiko

Reaction score
P1100013.jpg

P1100027.jpg

P1100024.jpg

They are funny to watch,they carry little rocks with their beaks and put them aside....I LOVE them!(I have 2)

There is more than a thounsand species of Solifugae.

You could even find some small ones in the Mediterranean area.

But I have heard that the ones from the desert are almost impossible to breed,but I do not have lots of infos about it.

Mine is from Arizona, USA. They have only bred in captivity a few times, but as far as I know nobody has reproduced more than one generation of our Eremobates spp. in captivity. The one in my video is huge by USA standards at 3 inches (7.5cm).

Last edited by a moderator:
Solifugids are incredibly cool! Unfortunate that, as Peter mentioned, captive breeding has not proven very successful. As I understand it, WC specimens have not lived long in captivity. But whether that is due to improper husbandry or something else is still speculated.

It molted a week ago.

It took it 2 weeks to molt!!!!I thought it was dead or mismolted.But it seems very well.

I put it in a pretty large terra half desert sand half dirt.

35°C to 40°C during the day 40% humidity(cannot go lower unless I plug and let heat my soldering iron next to it-perfect for drying out the ambient air)

At night I give a big spray to reach 80 to 90% humidity.Also I moistured the ground because I noticed it would try to dig hole for shelter.It seems to drink too!!

I t is able to climb verticaly.

A few days ago it started to bend its abdomen in a very akward way,I rread somewhere that it has to do with mating maybe??

I really need a hand on this one,could some one help me to give this beautiful spider the perfect conditions?( I have another one that is currently molting).

Thanks!