Gender?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitsune_Gem

Reaction score
I'd like to know what gender I have, so when I turn in photos of them for class, I can say what gender and breed they are. Any help is greatly appreciated

There are three different ones, ranging from an inch or so to about three inches,

Number one: Biggest on.

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

I'm new to this whole thing, but they are eating well, and seem quite happy, Id love to get the info on them as soon as I can, so I can return them to my garden,

Number 2:

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

Number 3:

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

I'm new to this whole thing, but they are eating well, and seem quite happy, Id love to get the info on them as soon as I can, so I can return them to my garden,

#1 female

#2 male

#3 female

They are Mantis religiosa. :)

The common name is European mantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, why does the male, have white and black on his little spots, and both females only have black? Does it have to do with the fact that they are male and female?

Also, why does the male, have white and black on his little spots, and both females only have black? Does it have to do with the fact that they are male and female?
I am not sure about why there are differences in the spots. Perhaps someone whow knows more about them can chime in and explain that. :unsure:

How would one go about breeding these?

Not that I want to, just wondering

Last edited by a moderator:
Both genders have the same variation to the markings on the coxa. Some will sport an eye spot. Meaning the the white center with the black ring around it. Like what your male has, or just a black marking. Whitch both your females are sporting. :)

+1 to Ismart and Likebugs. I've seen this species with both types of markings (the white eyespot and the black eye). It just happens to be a variation within the species. My preference are the ones with the eyespot though and I release the black eye ones. As for them being skinny, they look regular to me. The male will stay the way he is regardless of what you feed him but the females will eventually become budging fat if you feed them. An fyi, the color in the species will vary in the different colors of yellow, green, and brown.

+1 to Ismart and Likebugs. I've seen this species with both types of markings (the white eyespot and the black eye). It just happens to be a variation within the species. My preference are the ones with the eyespot though and I release the black eye ones. As for them being skinny, they look regular to me. The male will stay the way he is regardless of what you feed him but the females will eventually become budging fat if you feed them. An fyi, the color in the species will vary in the different colors of yellow, green, and brown.
that thing about white spot or not has always confused me and now i need to ask, what to you mean by "variation within the species"? Is it the same species? can a white spot mate with a non white spot? The behavior between this variation is practically the same so i don't know why you choose the white spotted ones

that thing about white spot or not has always confused me and now i need to ask, what to you mean by "variation within the species"? Is it the same species? can a white spot mate with a non white spot? The behavior between this variation is practically the same so i don't know why you choose the white spotted ones
What I mean by "variation within the species" is that some European mantids have just a black spot while others have the white eye spot. They are still the same species. What I mean by choosing choosing the white spotted ones is just personal preference. I just think the white spotted ones just look cooler because it has more design to it than just being a black spot. It's like choosing the mantid with the most color/designs.

Latest posts