General Thanks

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knighterrant

Reaction score
I took care of a mantid (Mantis religiosa, they swarm parts of Portland) with my brother when I was in grade school (quite a few years back now).

We managed to keep her (in hind sight I realize it was a girl) alive for a few months. We fed her mostly wild caught grasshoppers, the occasional cricket or spider, and what not.

I don't think she ever reached full adulthood, but she was getting pretty close when winter came. We didn't know that the cold would affect her, or I guess more accurately, kill her. Our room got pretty cold in the winter and she died not to long after that.

Anyway, after that I have always had it as my goal to keep a Mantis or two as pets. I never got around to doing it and I didn't know where to begin. A few days ago I stumbled on this site and now I feel like I can actually accomplish this goal. I just wanted to give a huge thanks to the community. I have learned SO much in the last few days and I look forward to learning more so that next spring I can catch a few mantids and keep them alive as long as possible.

My long term goal is to get a Hymenopus coronatus. I have always wanted to get one ever since I first saw a photograph of the female. I don't know if it will be easy to get here in Oregon or not, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Hopefully I can be a little helpful to some of you in the future.

Good to hear that the forum has treated you well. it had done the same for me. You aren't to far from me since I am in cali, so I know you can keep a Hymenopus coronatus. You will just have to watch the temp and I know there are breeders around the areas who sell them. If you ever need some help locating things, I will try to give you a helping hand.

I was hoping there would be some breeders on the west coast.

Thanks Lukony, when I am ready for her I will definately be in touch. Unless I happen to find a breeder that lives close to me at some point...

Ya, I am starting to get my mantids ready to breed in a bit. Keep an eye on my site for them. I am in california so I am only a state away.

Sweet. Will do.

Probably won't be ready for a few years for that girl though. I am going to make a habitat and I need to solve a few problems first. Though I will probably buy one from you if you have them in a few years.