ghost breeding question

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mack

Reaction score
i want to breed my ghosts, but they are in a nice set up with cool decor.  so my question is how long after mating does the female start to lay?  i want to let them breed in the nice set up, but i want to remove the females to temporary enclosures so they can lay on disposable sticks instead of on the big nice pieces i have in the display tanks.

@mack Once a female mantid molts to an adult, she is ready to mate about 3 weeks after that final molt. Females will lay ooths if they have mated or not, which begins about 6-7 weeks after their final molt. See the Ghost (Phyllocrania paradoxa) caresheet for other information/care...

thanks so much!  i had studied the care sheet, and read quite a few other articles and posts about breeding, but had been unable to find an answer to that question.

thanks so much!  i had studied the care sheet, and read quite a few other articles and posts about breeding, but had been unable to find an answer to that question.
Your welcome. Somethings do get overlooked in caresheets or posts, as some details are the same in nearly all species (time-frame wise as least in this case), and more experienced keepers take some details for granted. If you ever have questions just ask. ;)

I listed the caresheet as it lists the ooth hatching information, temperature to incubate them at, and such which is great to know too. :)

Best of luck Mack, it is a great fulfilling experience when you get little nymphs running around everywhere from the care/husbandry given to pet mantids (and knowing your pets live on in their offspring). :D

Latest posts