Ghost ooth hatching but questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swords

Reaction score
Hey folks I am getting hatching on my Ghost Mantid ootheca but about 50% are getting stuck & die half way emerged, I have 3 little pointy headed ants and 3 dead ones, what is the problem causing them to get stuck?

Conditions:

The eggcase is on the stick it was laid on, it is mounted horizontally in a 4" x 4" x 8" acrylic container the "zipper" on the ooth facing down and they can drop via gravity straight down.

The temps are 70-78/84*F night - day. The hatch container has a bed of live moss at the bottom that is saturated so humidity should be plenty high.

If I am doing anything wrong with this ooth please let me know.

I've left the 3 emerged ones in the hatching container but tossed in a few melanogaster fruit flies so they can eat if they feel like it. Once the new baby ghost terrarium is done being planted tonight I will move them all into there for a couple molts.

Usually that would be a humidity issue. I know you have ample humidity, but it may just not be enough. Try and mist the sides of the enclosures. Good luck! :)

Thanks, I will try for even more humidity.

I'll put some standing water under the moss (1/8" or so) and set it on the TV (slight bottom heat). I do mist the enclosure (steady condensation on the plastic) and have placed tape over the ventilation leaving only a small amount of FF screen exposed to air. I moved the live ones to their own mini enclosure and put in some melanogasters for them. Not sure how soon they will begin feeding but want food there to eat if they get hungry instead of their kin! LOL

Ah, my female has just laid a new ooth today as well! :)

Last edited by a moderator: