ghost question

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massaman

Reaction score
I just had both my male and female now become adults and is it safe to power feed the female even if the male is in the same enclosure as her? I want to make sure to give her enough to eat to get her ready and he could eat somewhat to get them both fit to breed real soon. Or do I need to take out the male and just feed the female alone and give her twice the amount of food as the male or is it just safe to keep both in the same area and feed them both and let them both do mate when they want to. As they both dont bother one another so I dont think cannibalism will be a issue!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the same questions. But I've already went ahead an put the male and female together in their planted tank and am feeding them plenty, fed by tongs with med/large crickets seemed to fatten the lady right up and I try to keep flies in there "at all times" (as best I can) so they both always have something to eat whenever they want now that they're together.

Anybody know if the Ghosts need higher than normal temps like the Violins supposedly need to induce breeding?

UPDATE:

I didn't think cannibalism would be an issue either but this morning all that remains of my male ghost is a pair of wings on some plants, hopefully they mated in the few days they were together. If you want to save the male I'd pull him just to be safe.

I did separate them but in all my mantis matings I make sure to watch the males and females once I put them near one another of any species and if it works will give them the time they need but if they wont mate then will keep them apart and try again at another time!

well, i kept my male with 2 females for about 3months and they got along great ! 1 female on each side of the 10gal tank with a heat lamp for each side so they didnt have to fight for the heat. As for the male, he did what he wanted. He died from unknown reasons. Kinda the same with my Wagbii's, 2 females and 1 male in a 10gal tank with 2 heat lamps. Unfortunitly, after 3months, 1 female died unknown, then i had to use 1 of the 2 lights on my idolos... then the male was eaten the next morning :angry: , and she layed an ooth 2 days later :lol: .

But keeping more then 1 mantis in a cage, ull need to over stock the live food in the cage and use 2 heat sources.