Glass Mantis - Red Flecked!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Not the best photos but I wanted to share how different this one looks to the other I posted.

Where the other is a frosted minty blue this one is hot cinnamon! The weird thing is I licked them and they are those flavors! :p

Anyone know if this is normal for this species???

Sinomantis_9435-sm.jpg

Sinomantis_9434-sm.jpg

Sinomantis_9432-sm.jpg

Here's the blue one for reference:

Sinomantis_4070-sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a video on youtube of this mantid (by Precarious) so cool vid, so the pics are cool too, I hope I can have some of them in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
amazing.. what if ppl bred and interbred mantids like they breed goldfish or siamese fighting fish, could we be able to isolate loads of recessive traits and get something the world hasn't seen before.. i dont know, just a thought :) or maybe insect heredity works differently

amazing.. what if ppl bred and interbred mantids like they breed goldfish or siamese fighting fish, could we be able to isolate loads of recessive traits and get something the world hasn't seen before.. i dont know, just a thought :) or maybe insect heredity works differently
Not really, but from the pix in my post above it looks as though there are already two established color morphs. Often, one mantis species has a number of pigments such as bilin (blue) , green, a mixture of yellow carotenoid which mixes with a different blue chromoprotein to make green, as in many mantids and grasshoppers, and some will change color during a molt, typically from green to brown by an increase in melanin in the cuticle. And that's just a long way of saying that I don't know what genotypes cause the two strains, either. :D

Not really, but from the pix in my post above it looks as though there are already two established color morphs. Often, one mantis species has a number of pigments such as bilin (blue) , green, a mixture of yellow carotenoid which mixes with a different blue chromoprotein to make green, as in many mantids and grasshoppers, and some will change color during a molt, typically from green to brown by an increase in melanin in the cuticle. And that's just a long way of saying that I don't know what genotypes cause the two strains, either. :D
:lol: :lol: you crack me up! :lol: :lol:

What's the natural environment for this species? I know that most organisms that are transparent tend to live in the dark.

Precarious,

Very cool! I took a closer look at my 5 Sinomantis. One of them appears to be tan or brown. A few weeks ago when I first noticed it, I thought it had just eaten. But then I noticed that it always looks like that. I'll have to get the camera and macro lens out.

Tammy

Precarious,

Very cool! I took a closer look at my 5 Sinomantis. One of them appears to be tan or brown. A few weeks ago when I first noticed it, I thought it had just eaten. But then I noticed that it always looks like that. I'll have to get the camera and macro lens out.

Tammy
Weird. There must be a lot of variation within this species. Definitely post of pics!