Good Camera help

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on how big a hurry you are in, how much money you have, what you can find for sale, and how important upclose macro photos are to you.

There are three models of camera that have great options to adjust for your camera itself and photos that will take great photos - they are the Canon PowerShot, Nikon CoolPix, and FujiFilm FinePix - series. There are many models available for each, so read what you are actually looking at specification wise. For any macro/up-close photos though you will need to buy a macro "lens" for any (later on when you get more money if needed), read below.

You can get a camera local used at a pawn shop, camera shop, or such - but if bought local test the camera and check what it all comes with, and above else make sure it is what you want (don't buy just because it is local waiting a week shipping time can make a huge difference on what you can afford/find).

As you said cheap I imagine you have a small/tiny budget so a even a older DSLR with a macro lens (used costs $500+ easy with the cost of a good lens the bulk of the price) so I would steer you towards a so-called pro consumer or sometimes called "prosumer" camera. It allows you to adjust most of the settings such as aperture, F-stop, ISO, etc, and is much easier on the wallet often around $100+ used.

However in that camera grade, shutter releases (to prevent camera shake), saving to RAW images, and a few other common "must-haves" are usually not available. I have however, have found a way around that with the Canon PowerShot line of cameras using software (memory card installed) called CHDK. With the software installed, images can be saved to RAW mode and adapting a USB cable by adding a switch and 3 AAA batteries it can use a shutter release too (and loads more options).

A few things to look for in are a camera are at least 12 MP (high end pro cameras are now in the 50 MP+ area - the image sensor is the real deciding factor but that is way above any quick help guide), comes with a battery and charger (or what kind it needs), that it records to a SD/SDHC memory card (older models will record to obsolete cards), video options (if you want, for example 720p HD), and anything else you want in a camera.

Once you find a camera your interested in be sure to read about it's pro's and con's and any real reviews for it, such as those at Amazon.com (search for your camera model).

Also to get great macro shots, what you will need in the mantid world, a special lens needs to be purchased (like for a DSLR lens $400+ used alone) but as the camera lens is not removable in a pro consumer camera there is still a option. As pointed out to me by user fercho ing, you can buy a Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro Snap-On Lens for $75 online about everywhere.

Then don't forget some other must haves would be a SDHC 32GB (or larger) memory card (I'd recommend a SanDisk Extreme for speeds/reliability), a tripod for clearer shots, camera bag (I recommend Lowepro or the Amazon Basic- I've been happy with both), and a good camera cleaning kit (as used cameras are always dirty, and that is a good starter set), among other things.

For shopping online for a camera I'd recommend these stores as I've had great shipping times/services/prices from them, especially B&H Photo. The links are set to a camera search in the cheap price range..

Another mention is ebay.com but the problem there is the sellers reliability and knowledge of what they sell, which can often times can be non-existent or worse a lie. Then there is their shipping times/packing, often with higher feedback sellers waiting a week or more to actually ship it (they often purchase a online shipping label and wait thinking they fooled anyone (which is a joke) before they even decide to ship it a week or more later -- the real reason I all but stopped buying from ebay and don't recommend it anymore).. I've had some really great buys but also a few bad ones as well so be careful there.

SWG: You really need to list a budget. Otherwise we could all write a book.

If your phone has a camera, why not start with that? You need to really light your subjects well. Many phone cameras have a macro setting which can produce results that are fine for the web (70 - 80 dpi). Additionally, there are macro lens attachments designed to fit a number of phones. If that's an acceptable solution for you, then the next, and MOST important thing to do is --- shoot, shoot and shoot some more !!

As the great French photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson said: "Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst."

Thank goodness film is now free !

Last edited by a moderator:
Just want to put this out:

If you have the budget to get a decent DSLR, the body doesn't matter. It's the lens!

Trust me...

More or less I'm not sure on the budget. I'm gonna guess anywhere from 250-400ish because it's Xmas gift money I plan to use, maybe a little of my own depending on how much more is needed.

+1

most mid- to high-end point & shoots do fine macro work and are perfectly adequate for mantid shots, as they are pretty large insects. Unless you are looking for pro-level shots, they will work well. I'd look at some camera review sites and find a good one for your needs and budget.

If you are looking for higher quality, a lower-end dslr with a macro lens would work well, but the setup would cost close to $1000

I have the canon power shot.. All of my pics are on auto focus... I want to take better pictures... more detail... where do I start learning to improve? I do not understand any of the setting things...

I want to get closer... can I? and how?

SWG ... Hello neighbor..

I also use the powershot a630.

dmina, if you search around online you can find a macro lens or " close up kit" for decent pricing... Of course you get what you pay for.

I have the canon power shot.. All of my pics are on auto focus... I want to take better pictures... more detail... where do I start learning to improve? I do not understand any of the setting things...

I want to get closer... can I? and how?

SWG ... Hello neighbor..
Tell us which PowerShot model you have and we can go from there. :D

Thanks guys... SWG sorry I did not mean to hijack your thread.. if you want me to start my own, I will... I just seen my camera mentioned above..

I have the point and shoot one... SX500 IS Canon Power Shot

Lame I don't think the lens come off?

Thanks guys... SWG sorry I did not mean to hijack your thread.. if you want me to start my own, I will... I just seen my camera mentioned above..

I have the point and shoot one... SX500 IS Canon Power Shot

Lame I don't think the lens come off?
No, the model you have the lens does not come off. Some of the more advanced PowerShot models allow changing the lens like a DSLR.

Is your camera set-up for the best photo quality (highest mega-pixel setting)? By default it isn't so people can save more photos (less quality) to their memory card. To view/change this setting -- turn on your camera and put it into live mode so it is ready to take a photo. Press the FUNC SET button (middle of dial on back). On the menu shown press the DOWN key (right below the FUNC SET button) until it shows the setting - It will say something like...

16M 4320x3240

For printing up to

A2 size (16x20in.) prints.
Be sure it says 16M, as that is your cameras best quality setting. If it does not and says a lower value simply press LEFT or RIGHT keys (to left and right of the FUNC SET key) to adjust the setting to the 16M option. Once you select the 16M setting press the FUNC SET key again to set the camera to the best setting.

What mode are you using to take your photos? Such as the Sports, Manual, Av, Auto, etc - the dial on top. Unless you know how to adjust your cameras shutter speed/F stop/etc turn this dial to Sports or Auto for best results - try both to see which works better for you.

Are you taking the photos with the camera in a tripod or are you simply holding the camera? If you don't have a tripod, you will want the AF (auto-focus) to be on to give you the best results -- With the camera turned on and in live view ready to take a photo press the MENU button. On the menu you will see options like AF Frame, Digital Zoom, AF-Point Zoom, Servo AF, Continuous AF, etc. Press the DOWN key (below the FUNC SET button) until Servo AF is highlighted. Press the LEFT button if it is set to Off. Now press the DOWN button again to Continuous AF. Then press the LEFT button to turn it On if it is currently turned Off as well. Then press the MENU button to save your settings.

Lastly another quick trick is to ensure your camera lens is clean. If your unsure remove the lens cap and hold your camera lens at a angle towards some light and look. Obviously if it is smeared, dusty, or smudged clean it. :)

I've asked some basic question to see some of your camera techniques/usage, and told you how to set some basic settings for best results. Let me know if that helps your photos if not we can go from there.

For your camera you can read some basic settings, your manual, and related material at the Canon website for your model PowerShot SX500 IS.

Thanks SWG... and CosbyArt

I changed my camera to 16m... Turned off the servo, & Continuous... I have a tripod ... I use it, and I take photo's free hand also.. I usually keep the camera on auto focus..

Do you use a flash?... or natural lighting?

These I took by the window.. free hand, no flash

Thanks SWG... and CosbyArt

I changed my camera to 16m... Turned off the servo, & Continuous... I have a tripod ... I use it, and I take photo's free hand also.. I usually keep the camera on auto focus..

Do you use a flash?... or natural lighting?

These I took by the window.. free hand, no flash
Alright the new images have remarkably less grain/noise and appear to be better all around. The persistent problem though is the focus. What mode are you using to take your photos? Such as the Sports, Manual, Av, Auto, etc - the dial on top.

Regarding lighting it depends on the available light in the room, I just adjust my large desk adjustable lamp I have to light my object/mantis. As I use manual mode on my PowerShot to ensure the lowest ISO mode possible for the best photos, I adjust my F-Stop (Aperture) and shutter speeds for a properly exposed image - pretty much regardless of available light. I also like to use a external flash mounted on my camera shoe if needed, so I can bounce the light off nearby objects for more natural lighting. Although your Powershot model does not have a flash shoe available.

If your not familiar with manual mode and how to adjust the settings, simply use the camera's flash. There are many different settings you can adjust including brightness level. View your owners manual for details on that.

First thing to try is when you are going to take a photo do not zoom in. I think it may simply be you are zooming in too much for the lens to focus on the mantis. Try no zoom before anything else you do from this. :D

I think it would be wise to take a photo of anything else that larger like a chair/potted plant/table/etc. To ensure you can get a focused image of an object at all.

I know a downfall to my PowerShot is trying to focus on a mantis too close or thru a mesh screen - also the simple fact it is a small insect not a human target. The autofocus green light also aims to the top left of the composition frame, not the center.

If you get a clear focused photo of a large object then you know it's possible to get one of your small mantis too.

Somethings you can try - Aim the camera at the mantis's feet, press the shutter button halfway to focus, then reposition the camera to the center of the mantis and finish pushing the shutter button to take the photo.

Set your camera to macro - turn the camera on and in live view, press the flower MF button, press the LEFT button to select macro, then press FUNC SET to change the settings.

Try using your tripod and set the camera to use a timer. As pressing the shutter button manually can cause more than enough shake to make the photo come out blurred or unfocused. To use a timer put the camera into live view, press the timer button the round clock below the FUNC SET button. Then press the DOWN button (same timer button again) to set a 10 SEC timer, lastly press the FUNC SET button to apply the timer.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the sudden you just started speaking French ... I know .. not really.. but I did want to acknowledge your answer.. but going to come back after I make dinner and re-read this.. I really appreciate your help.. so don't give up on me...

My dial on top, I have on auto.. The grain/noise???

no zooming... cropping..

Be back soon...

OK... I understood it better this second time.. I am going to try this out tomorrow... thank you so much..

Latest posts