Good first-time mantid?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidNewbie

Reaction score
Hello!

While browsing the 'net today, I came across some of these beautiful creatures, and I was wondering if you people could give me some suggestions for smaller "beginner" mantids? I am NOT "jumping into this", just came across these guys and thought it would be cool to have one. And besides, I am in the process of constructing a terrarium for my first ever Dart Frogs (Dendrobates Auratus), and will not have ANY money for quite some time :p

I think chiese, bugwings, and africans are the good beginner species.

Chinese because they are the easiest to care for, well for me at least and they are really tamed.

9KHK9KGKAK7K2K7KY0GKRSMKEKGQEKPQB0Q.jpg

Budwings because they eat alot and they can grow pretty big, plus they are just as easy to care for.

bud1.jpg

Africans are for those beginners who like aggressive easy to care for mantids. Pregnant females are the most aggressive from what I've heard.

(couldn't find a good picture)

Basically any non-exotic mantis are good beginner species. [SIZE=8pt]i think[/SIZE]

If you can find a mantis or an ootheca outside, it would be a good beginner mantis because the environment won't change a whole lot when you bring it inside. ;)

:blink: Hey Sparky, he said "smaller mantis" how bout the gambian, or the ant, or the egyptian? Those are all relatively easy mantis to care for, and small too. :lol:

Welcome to the forum Mantidnewbie =]

Remember to introduce yourself in the introductions forum.

You have several choices regarding what species to keep. What are you looking for in a mantis? If it is size, then you can choose species such as the Hierodula (Indian/Asian mantis). If you are looking for colour/beauty, then you can choose species such as the Creobroter (Indian flower) or Pseudocreobotra (Spiny flower). All of these species are very easy to keep, you would have no problems giving them a go.

Just a couple of suggestions there!

Yea, I really only want a small-easy-to-care-for mantid for my first "attempt". I really like the Ant Mantid It looks cool, where would I buy one of these little buggers? (Mantids in general, not just ants).

P.S. Are there any mantis species in my area (North FL.)?

Yea, I really only want a small-easy-to-care-for mantid for my first "attempt". I really like the Ant Mantid It looks cool, where would I buy one of these little buggers? (Mantids in general, not just ants). P.S. Are there any mantis species in my area (North FL.)?
Mantisplace.com, usamantis.com and other breeders..... look in breeder feedback and you can pick. I reckon Yen for mantids(usamantis.com) and nick (Mantisplace.com) for supplies. I have giant asian nymphs that hatched today from yen! :)

Mantisplace.com, usamantis.com and other breeders..... look in breeder feedback and you can pick. I reckon Yen for mantids(usamantis.com) and nick (Mantisplace.com) for supplies. I have giant asian nymphs that hatched today from yen! :)
I would recommend Yen, since he has new ant ooths that will hatch soon. (I think.) Or you could get an ooth from him for 15 bucks.(Not too expensive than by buying seperately?) I heard Nick(mantisplace) was sold out, so I'm not sure if he has any.

As you are starting a dart frog endeavor, one of the flower mantids previously mentioned is probably your best bet. Keeping their food is easy too. BUT, I must advise you (as I do anyone who will listen) hatching a Chinese ooth will teach you all the basics first hand. They're cheap and they die in every possible way (thus you learn to keep them alive) and there are hundreds so you'll definately have some survivors. In four short months, you'll have awsome mantid skills! :)

i think a small, easy mantis would be the budwing, although mine seem to be really jumping and i have to be careful not to allow them to run off when feeding and whatnot...but i also think that the Giant African Mantis would actually be easiest since you can feed it larger animals, just make sure not to feed any insects poisoned food ;)

Make a post in the classifieds section requesting something. Usually, someone selling it would PM or email or somehow contact you.

Thanks for all the help, guys! But like I said, I really probably won't be getting anything anytime soon.

Latest posts