Greetings

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneTalon

Reaction score
Hi everyone! 

My name is John and I live in Toronto, Canada. In late August I met a girl on the sidewalk. I stared into her compound eyes and instantly fell in love. I took her home, named her Parker and put her my 5 gallon tank and added coconut fiber base. I learned she was female due to her five abdominal segments, but I was unable to figure out which species she actually was, since multiple species seem to share her general appearance. I loved to watch her eat, and lick her scythes clean afterwards. I would often let her walk around my hands or let her latch onto my shirt for awhile. The nights grew cold. I knew her lifespan and our remaining time together was growing short. She passed this last week, but left me the gift of a kindled passion for the Praying Mantis. 

My mom worked at the Toronto Zoo and I grew up adoring animals. I have kept hamsters, frogs, newts, fish, and a scorpion. I now want to arrange a terrarium specifically for Mantids. I am undecided on which species to acquire, but am currently mostly intrigued by the Ghost Mantis, both for it's appearance and communal capability. I want to arrange an "Alice in Wonderland" style terrarium as well (Just picture a few Ghost Mantids swaying back and forth on glowing mushrooms). 

So I wanted to join a forum where I could meet with fellow enthusiasts, benefit from their experience, and maybe find a breeder since Canada appears to have less purveyors than the US.

Thanks in advance for having me!

- John

20180821_164022.jpg

20180825_173942.jpg

20180926_181156.jpg

20180926_181853.jpg

20180929_212657.jpg

Welcome! What a sweet story ❤

I have Ghosts and I love them! I can *totally* envision them 'dancing' on glowing mushrooms! Check out 'spongeworld' a pinned post in the enclosures section. It has the feel of what you describe and may give you some ideas. Be sure to share some pictures when your Alice in Wonderland habitat is complete ? 

You will find a ton of cool mantids, awesome people, and a wealth of knowledge here, for sure!

Heya @StoneTalon!

Ajax here. 

That's a European Mantis you have. I've had a male (died suddenly 6 weeks in) and a female we found last week. 

I'm told that adult females live longer than adult males, and that it's possible to keep them around a good spell. 

Here in the GTA you'll find wild Europeans and Chinese Mantis. 

Feed her clean/well kept feeder insects and she should do well in a clean, well laid-out habitat. 

The problem with acquiring mantids here is that US breeders don't typically want to to risk shipping here (legal AND weather). When it's warmer you may find one that will ship, but this weather won't allow it. 

A GTA breeder may have exotic species like ghosts, orchids, etc. If you learn of one, please refer me! 

Heres a photo of our European girl Lola. 

Cheers, eh? 

20181013_011515.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts