Gut Load Goulash for Crickets

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantisboy

Reaction score
I'm sure folks have their own recipes for gut loading crickets....here is mine:

1 Tablespoon of Crushed Cheerios or Frosted Flakes

1 Teaspoon of Banana or chopped Apple

1 Tablespoon of shredded lettuce

Stir and serve....

I get the plastic pack of crickets from Petsmart and feed them this combo every 2 days. It seems to keep them nice and plump.

I just feed whatever greens I have for my dragon, orange cubes(flukers), and a dash of pollen/honey powder. Tons of ways to skin this cat, yours sounds more than fine though.

I dont think gut loading is anymore beneficial than a regular fed cricket when it comes to praying mantids. Maybe for reptiles.

I dont think gut loading is anymore beneficial than a regular fed cricket when it comes to praying mantids. Maybe for reptiles.
You maybe right. But when I look at that green feeding cube it just doesn't seem like it provides any source of quality nutrients or moisture. I sleep better knowing my crickets have nice full bellies and have received their daily recommended allowance of vegetables, nutritious whole wheat grains, vitamins and iron approved by the FDCA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed my crickets a high quality dog food and whatever veggie/fruit scraps I happen to have left from what I am eating throughout the day.

thats good. Taste of the wild dog food is very nutritous and for 20 bucks you can feed crickets for a looooong time.

Long as it isn't iceberg lettuce. I feed them a much more varied diet than that but is surely a good start.

Long as it isn't iceberg lettuce. I feed them a much more varied diet than that but is surely a good start.
I regularly use Romaine but I have used iceberg a few times, is there something bad in iceberg I should know about?

sounds like my mantis will get a cavity with all that cereal.

ill have pluck out a rotted mandible!

Latest posts