Gutloading Feeder insects

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShrekDatDankBoi

Reaction score
Coming from a reptile owner/prospective breeder, I'm curious as to if supplementation is alright for the mantids, or if it's better to throw the bugs in the enclosure without any special preparation. Is it a good idea to gutload feeders for the mantis for better health or is it unnecessary? I'm talking like adding bee pollen/other high nutrient superfood to the dry feed of the roaches/other feeders

Gutloading is a good thing, if nothing else it give the mantids something extra to enjoy and perhaps add to their nutritional value. That said, products aimed for reptile keepers and related are unnecessary - such as calcium mixes and such, as mantids do not use calcium (their exoskeletons are made of chitin) and may cause more harm than good. The pollen and basic vitamins mixes though are great, and are good to dust on feeders as well before using them to feed mantids.

Yep typical gutloads aimed at reptiles aren't something I would suggest. Rather than thinking of it as gutloading I would just feed your prey items a healthy diet. Some people like to crush up bee pollen and dust feeders directly before feeding, but I'm sure your roaches will enjoy eating it directly as well.