H. Coronatus nymph

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs4guy

Reaction score
greatorchidshot.jpg

goodorchidshot2.jpg

Just got her the other day, she is enjoying her fruit flies, and doing very well so far! About 3/4" or so at this point.

Are you sure? I have viewed it's abdomen under a high powered magnifying glass, and counted only 6 sections. I may have issues if it's a male, as I paid for a mated pair!

Is there a notch on the second to last segment? I believe there was a post about this, the method works especially well for orchids.

Here's a little diagram I drew up one day:

Edit: diagram isn't working.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you mean the female has a notch?

Thanks for that pic!

Last edited by a moderator:
anyway... males are so apreciated.... I have seen always people looking for males.......

Great sexing photos!

To both Precarious and RevWillie.

I have come to use the "wide last segment" for sexing. It works well for both mantids and roaches, and I don't even bother counting anymore.

It still might be hard for very young nymphs, because sometimes it looks like they retract the ends of their abdomens, and I don't have a good means of magnification. I use a loupe that was made for viewing slides and negatives (kind of oldscool, I know :rolleyes: ), but it is still difficult with tiny nymphs that move alot.

Haha thanks, I think so too. He/she is only about 3/4" or so, but should be molting soon, has been eating FF's like it's her job!

Latest posts