H. Patellifera dying - black wingbuds?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsychoMantis

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Heads-up: I have to keep this relatively short because I need to get going soon :/

So, I got a female Hierodula Patellifera about 6 months ago as an adult - it was my first praying mantis. Since they're supposed to be easy to keep, I was told she would live at least until around October. But now, well, she's basically dying. She was a little drowsy yesterday, so I gave her some water, which she drank eagerly, but I had a hunch. Now I do not know how old she was when I got her, though I'd assume she had been an adult for perhaps 1, MAXIMUM 2 months tops, maybe even less. Can't tell.

I'm having two concerns toward my future mantises:

1. She had not laid one single ootheca. While I was told it was normal for her to hold back, I have to admit I was suspicious because she was just holding back really long. I tried everything, increasing temperature, AH, and decreasing it too. She was living together with two millipedes. I tried feeding her more, feeding her less, but she wouldn't bulge.

2. I noticed the past few days, she had black wing buds, which concerns me. I did a thorough research and found nothing remotely close to these symptoms. Maybe the air was too humid? Her eyes got a yellowish tinge over the past few weeks as well. I thought it may be because she got older and kept running into the glass of the terrarium, but maybe it was something else?

Right now, she's just struggling to stay alive, unable to hold onto anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance.

PS: Sorry the photos aren't very high quality, took them with my phone. If it's too unclear I'll try to take better photos when I get back!

IMG_20150902_142701.jpg

IMG_20150902_142713.jpg

Ive had several females of different species that never laid an ooth. Now the female ghost mantis laid 5 or 6 and was never mated. Im guessing it depends on the species. As far as the rest I dont know but old age does a number on them ; (

Ive had several females of different species that never laid an ooth. Now the female ghost mantis laid 5 or 6 and was never mated. Im guessing it depends on the species. As far as the rest I dont know but old age does a number on them ; (
Thanks for the quick answer!

Yes, I figured the old age may be a reason too... though I had hoped she would live a little longer.

I forgot to mention - she never got mated.

And it worries me because I was told the abdomen can die off or even burst if they hold back too long.. I dunno what a "dead" abdomen looks like, but she was still doing the pumping thing, so maybe that wasn't the reason?

What I find really strage are the black wingbuds. Anyone ever encounter that before? Or at least know a cause for it? :/

11893755_920401968048266_7654364106689756796_o.jpg

When my mantids become elderly like yours I lay a blanket down for them to lay on. I make them with my own exotic yarns. They are nicer than paper towel. Mine like them and others have told me how much they also like them for thier mantids.

i had black spots on my mantid before that looked similar, only were on her shoulders as opposed to the wings. She was a stagmomantis limbata. I thought maybe it was a type of mold or fungus.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you housed her with millipedes, she may have attempted to prey upon them and was deterred by the toxic and distasteful compounds millipedes can release when threatened. Depending on the species of millipede, the compounds released may have become a gas that she then inhaled and poisoned herself with as well.

Most millipedes also require much more stagnant conditions than a mantis should be kept in. Mantises require good airflow to remain healthy and avoid respiratory infections while most millipedes require stagnant and humid air to remain well-hydrated and healthy. What species of millipedes were you keeping her with?

Latest posts