Hardest to Raise Successfully

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidewinder

Reaction score
Folks,

desana started a topic that got a little out of control and, since I feel partially responsible, I would like to get him the information he wanted. So.....

Can we get some input on what mantid species you have found to be the most troublesome to keep alive while raising them from nymph to adult?

Thanks,

S-

Last edited by a moderator:
What's difficult about European? Given the climate they live in it would seem like they would be easier since they could live at room temp.

First, there should be a definition on what we are referring to. I refer to breeding over more than 3 generations without introducing "new blood". All the following stuff applies to this definition.

Every Palearctic species is complicated due to high rates of cannibalism, the difficulty to establish the right temperatures (cool nights!) and stuff like diapause; such as:

Mantis religiosa religiosa

Iris oratoria

Stagmomantis carolina (temperate stocks)

Empusa sp.

Some Empusids for still unknown reasons, such as:

Idolomorpha sp.

Idolomantis diabolica (not really complicated, but depending on experience of the breeder; as most fail, I included it here)

Deroplatys trigonodera

Highland species (or stocks) above ca. 1000 m due to difficulties of offering the right climate (cool nights etc.), such as:

Choeradodis stalii (some stocks)

Rhombodera basalis (some stocks)

Antemna rapax

Thesprotiella peruana

Vates sp.

Desert species, such as;

Eremiaphila sp.

Some rainforest species, for still unknown reasons, such as:

Toxodera/Paratoxodera sp.

Acanthops sp.

This list isn't exhaustive. It just gives an impression on where the problems are.

I'd guess the most difficult may be Gonatista grisea. There's been stock available from time to time and I don't know that anyone has gotten them through a single complete generation. M. religiosa, I. iratoria and S. carolina are extremely easy to rear from hatchling to adult and I think the lack of multiple generation culture of the first two is related to their lack of value and ease of acquistion. S. carolina (temperate) has been kept for multiple successive generations.

I'd guess the most difficult may be Gonatista grisea. There's been stock available from time to time and I don't know that anyone has gotten them through a single complete generation.

I didn't know they are THAT difficult. Too bad, I was inquiring after some ooths, but maybe its better to get some more experience first. Shame, it is a nice looking species.

Useful thread this.

I'd guess the most difficult may be Gonatista grisea. There's been stock available from time to time and I don't know that anyone has gotten them through a single complete generation.
I don't know about the difficulty of this species, as noone over here had it to be able to tell. I only use data I know of. Other bark species from throughout the world were successfully bred, so I am inclined to believe they are not as complicated (attention: personal statement! ;) )

M. religiosa, I. iratoria and S. carolina are extremely easy to rear from hatchling to adult and I think the lack of multiple generation culture of the first two is related to their lack of value and ease of acquistion.
Raising may not be the problem. But who bred them for several generations?

S. carolina (temperate) has been kept for multiple successive generations.
Again: by whom? Could this be confirmed? If yes, it can be deleted from the list. But all too often breeding successes were in fact nones, as no more than a generation could be raised in captivity.

Stagmomantis carolina is a Nearctic species.
Cough, cough, of course. I included it subsequently and forgot to change Palearctic to Holarctic.

In fact, it is also Neotropical, if the available older distributional data should be confirmed. As with M. religiosa eichleri & siedleckii, tropical stocks of this species may be easier to breed.

Isn't the OP just interested in which is the hardest to raise from ooth to adult, not which is hardest to breed multiple generations of?

As far as nymphs go, Psuedoharpax V. has given me the most grief. I keep them at very precisely controlled temp and humidity, and it still seems impossible to keep them alive. Especially at L1 and L2. I have gone from 50 to 5 over the course of a month since they hatched with no explanation. I typically have at least one die every day.

Very good info here!

Christian, have you ever considered writing a book for the hobby? You seem to be extensively knowledgeable and can communicate in a way that is not too overly technical or difficult for the average Joe to understand. I know I would buy it.... :)

Some day maybe. Such stuff is hard work and when you are not satisfied with the existing literature you have to be better. This needs cooperation and a good bunch of infos. There are still several species to be bred.

Until then, there will be some articles, mostly in German. Scientific stuff is of course in English.

I don't know about the difficulty of this species, as noone over here had it to be able to tell. I only use data I know of. Other bark species from throughout the world were successfully bred, so I am inclined to believe they are not as complicated (attention: personal statement! ;) )
Have you reared relatives of Gonatista personally? I've not seen them here except the Peurto Rican species that didn't fare well.

Raising may not be the problem. But who bred them for several generations?Again: by whom? Could this be confirmed? If yes, it can be deleted from the list. But all too often breeding successes were in fact nones, as no more than a generation could be raised in captivity.
What kind of confirmation are you looking for on the Carolina mantis multiple generation breeding? Although it's possible nobody has bred M.religiosa or Iris through more than three generations it is because they have no trade or other value and you can only rear so many mantids. I have reared Iris into a second generation and nobody wanted them for trade so I didn't bother for a third. M. religiosa has been reared through a second generation.

I find the Devil's Flower (Idolomantis diabolica) to be the most difficult species because they have little interest in crickets or roaches. This makes taking care of them a great inconvenience when most other carnivorous bugs in our hobby eat them both. Devil's Flowers almost require flying insects as food. I am able to feed them roaches sometimes, offered to them at the end of a long pair of tweezers at just the right angle to disguise the tweezers. Also, their cage requirements are very specific. Unlike other species I've raised, Devil's Flowers cannot climb glass or plastic. This requires screen or other textured surfaces for them to move around on and especially for molting.

Like other mantis cages, theirs should be tall enough that they are able to molt properly. They don't like to be on the ground, so they spend almost all of their time at the top (this also makes them less likely to feed on crickets or roaches).

Of course, they are well worth the effort!

As for the holarctic species, all the challenging factors can be dealt with and I don't see why anybody should have problems raising them through multiple generations. It's just that nobody cares to, I think. As with the Chinese mantises, I've never raised them for more than a generation because stock is easily obtained each year and breeders only keep them together in the early instars because their value doesn't justify separating them (= too much work for too little profit). Of course, I do separate ALL species at or before third instar, but I don't have a problem selling them and I rather enjoy feeding them all the time because it keeps me from turning on my TV ;)

To Christian: I've kept Stagmomantis limbata for over three years now in continuous breeding, although with input to my stock from Mike on this forum and Dr. Mike Maxwell in CA. I know, not S. carolina and perhaps somewhat easier to rear, but it must be possible for S. carolina and for S. californica maybe. I've had T. sinensis, at least a small cohort in the lab since my MS work 5 years ago, although I would put down my vote for these as one of the harder species to rear.

I think the most difficult are those that are really large (prone to mismolts in inappropriate containers) and those from humid areas that require high humidity throughout the life cycle (which is often hard to maintain indoors unless you have expensive growth chambers that maintain constant temp. and humidity) - so in that regard T. sinensis wins. Idolomantis is also difficult, but mostly because of infertility, inability to exchange stocks to keep up good breeding, and large size. Humidity is less a problem with these, and the glass climbing issue can be easily overcome using scrreening on the cage walls.

~Jon

What kind of confirmation are you looking for on the Carolina mantis multiple generation breeding?Although it's possible nobody has bred M.religiosa or Iris through more than three generations it is because they have no trade or other value and you can only rear so many mantids. I have reared Iris into a second generation and nobody wanted them for trade so I didn't bother for a third. M. religiosa has been reared through a second generation.
I refer to knowing for sure someone who has bred the respective species for more than three generations without introducing new blood. That Iris and Mantis are not wanted by anyone does not imply that noone may have tried to breed them, just for the sake of the trial. I also did not say it is not possible, I just consider them more difficult than other species. People should really try it in case they have some spare place. It is always good to have new inputs on factors leading to a continuous vs. diapause-based breeding. You will see then that most tropical species are rather easy.

I've kept Stagmomantis limbata for over three years now in continuous breeding, although with input to my stock from Mike on this forum and Dr. Mike Maxwell in CA. I know, not S. carolina and perhaps somewhat easier to rear, but it must be possible for S. carolina and for S. californica maybe.
St. limbata may best be classified as subtropical, so there aren't the same difficulties to be expected as with temperate ones. Further, due to fresh genetic input, your stock doesn't strictly apply to my definition.

As I said before, there could be differences between different carolina stocks either, depending on origin.

I think the most difficult are those that are really large (prone )to mismolts in inappropriate containers) and those from humid areas that require high humidity throughout the life cycle (which is often hard to maintain indoors unless you have expensive growth chambers that maintain constant temp. and humidity)
I must disagree here. Large species have to be kept in large containers, but apart of the space requirements, there is no particular difficulty with these ones. If someone hasn't the space for breeding say, Solygia, he has to refuse to breed this species. But this doesn't mean that the species is hard to breed. In this case, the problems are again to be appointed to the breeder.

The second case is ambivalent. On the one hand it is not a real problem to establish high humidity conditions. Many rainforest species were bred successfully - however, others weren't yet, so there may be some difference in the tolerance of unfavorable conditions. There is still a lot to explore in this regard. I see the problems rather in the combination of high humidity and low temperatures. I mentioned species from these habitats as very problematic.

Idolomantis is also difficult, but mostly because of infertility, inability to exchange stocks to keep up good breeding, and large size. Humidity is less a problem with these...
Infertility in Idolomantis is a myth. If it occurs, the conditions offered were not optimal. Humidity, and the times when it has to be low or high, is an issue in this species. Exchanging stocks is not an issue either: if your stock is flourishing, you need no exchange (this also applies to other species). Secondly, this may be more a problem in the US. In Europe, this species is bred rarely but regularly. Large size is not a problem as I pointed out earlier, particularly as they may be raised communally. It needs a lot of space, but this is not an innate problem of the species but of the space availability of the breeder.