Hatching time one ootheca and Tenodera angustipennis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orin

Reaction score
Anyone regularly hatch this species in captivity? With the obvious exception of Brunneria borealis I've never seen an ootheca hatch for longer than 48hrs but my first and only T. angustipennis ootheca has been hatching for three weeks straight. Anybody see this in anything else?

Like when you say hatching for three weeks, do you mean there is a constant flow of nymphs from the ooth? Or a couple days will pass and another nymph hatches? The later scenario has happened with T sinensis and S carolina for me.

Like when you say hatching for three weeks, do you mean there is a constant flow of nymphs from the ooth? Or a couple days will pass and another nymph hatches? The later scenario has happened with T sinensis and S carolina for me.
I have seen where a few or half hatch one day and a day or two later the rest hatch. I am talking about where the first nymph to hatch molts toi L3 and the same day another few of it's ootheca siblings hatch.

When I bred a Stagmomantis carolina female that came from TN with a male of the same species from FL. The nymphs hatched staggered. Some nymphs were molting to second instar while their ootheca was still hatching. It is possible, but I can't say if any were at 3rd instar as I wasn't recording the information. I am not sure if the female was wild caught when a nymph, or captive bred before I got her.

Wild collected Stagmomantis carolina oothecae that I find and hatch here in S. FL will hatch all the nymphs within a couple of hours. When the nymphs from those oothecae were bred, their oothecae have hatched the same way. It has been the same burst type hatching with oothecae of a wild caught female from here.

With the exception of the wild caught adult female, these mantids were hatched and raised indoors at room temperature.

Perhaps it can depend on where a mantis is from and the climate that their parents have been exposed to, rather than just what species the oothecae are produced from?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have hatched about three or four ooths of this species from captive bred to wild caught. Never more than a few days to fully hatch out. Mine were all burst hatching's Over a hundred each. Mine were also all diapaused. Was this ooth diapaused?

Is that the one I sent you? If so it was outside for awhile, but no real cold temps. The few I have hatched were burst hatchings. Must be due to no cold or something.

Not sure if this adds to this conversation but I read this the other night on Yen's site regarding the Carolina Mantis and I thought it was very interesting:

(3/19/09) After overwintering, the ootheca finally hatched after about 5 weeks indoor (80-85F/60%). Every day they are about 5-10 nymphs hatched out for the first 5 days. After 5 days, about 1-3 nymphs hatched out on daily basis for the next two weeks and finally stop when the first batch reached 3rd instar! This species is not communal at all and will eat each other, especially when the older batch is larger in size. There must be a reason why the ootheca does not hatch in all in once bursting type. The advantage for this type of hatching could improve the chance of survival and also avoid inbreeding this way. I am not sure yet if I should keep this batch to adult. The oldest batch is definitely around 5th instar or more now. I am sure I will be able to locate more this coming Summer.

Latest posts