Have a mantis friend

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anniez

Reaction score
Hello all. So I have a mantis living on my screened porch. I'm debating catching him (i say him not really knowing) because it's started getting cooler in the evening. But as I'm reading feeds I'm debating just letting him live out his life on the porch he's been here for 4 days now. I've really enjoyed watching him and he seems to watch my two dogs and I as well. Any suggestions on keeping him happy and content?

Well, you can catch food for it. Is it fat or skinny? Also, are its antanaee longer than an inch? Also, does it have wings covering its body? If its fat, most likely a female, long antenna is a male, and long wings mean a male. The mantis in my profile pic is a femal, you can compare it.

if its been there for five days i would assume its female because the males are usually never in the same place for long. If you want a cool pet just find one of those small critter cages for it and put some sticks in there for he or she to climb. Toss in live insects for it and it should chase them down and eat right away. There easy to care for and its awsome to watch them hunt.

Thank you all for your responses! I think it's a he... He's very slim and has long antennas... I thought he'd left this morning but about an hour ago he reappeared on the opposite end of the porch. I think he's staying because he has ample food sources it was vacant for a year before I bought it and I just closed two weeks ago so spiders and moths gallore. I watched him hunt a couple of flys one of them he dropped almost right on me... It was reminded me a cat I had that would go mousing. It'd catch one for himself the leave me one. Lol. Anyway, again thank you all again and I'll post more about his adventures... I do think he's contemplating how to eat the dogs as I type this!

Latest posts