Hello ^_^

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FaceMobile

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm new to the forum, and also pretty new to mantids. We have had our mantis (Elliot) since September, she's a Rhombodera Extensicollis. SHE IS BEAUTIFUL! I never thought I would say that about an insect, but I have grown to love her. She is our first, but we are considering getting another soon.

A little bit about me: from MA. I also have a pekingese, a green iguana, a rose hair tarantula, and 2 hermit crabs. Also, I love to garden!!

The main reason I joined the forum is because Elliot laid an ooth yesterday... I was surprised considering that she has never mated to my knowledge. Reading up on it I have learned so much... and I hope to learn more from everyone here. ☺

Welcome.

Mantids lay ooths whether they have been mated or not. Unfortunately it will not hatch but it is not too late to find a mate for her. 

Hello and welcome to the forum
welcome6.gif

As Rick said the ooth is infertile. To find her a mate you can place a ad in the forum classifieds or ask where you purchased her about a adult male. It is a wonderful experience to breed a beloved mantid, and have her live on in her babies that hatch after she is gone. :D

Thanks guys!  I'm not too sure about getting into breeding yet... I'd like to do some research about it first. I sure would love to see what her babies look like tho.

0310161622a.jpg

Yeah. xD Haha I just sorta jumped into trying to breeding my orchids, so I'm sorta winging it. Carefully, of course~

And beautiful girl!

Latest posts