Hello & a question.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Ken & I live in sunny Scotland. I am an experienced reptile & tarantula keeper but have only recently branched out into mantis & stick insect keeping. Now wondering why it took me so long, they are wonderfully entertaining little creatures!

Perhaps someone can assist & tell me what  the enclosed pic shows. Found at the bottom of my giant african mantis enclosure.

IMG_4430.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, welcome to the Mantid Forum! It's a great, thriving community! Everyone heard is happy to have another member! Welcome from New York!

Major & Synapze, thanks for your replies. My first thought was eggs but there has not been any sign of a large egg case stuck to a branch which I thought mantids emerged from.

Welcome. Look like fly pupae. Is your mantis wild caught? These pupae remind of of the type of fly larvae that emerge from a mantis and then pupate. Does your mantis have a wound? In my pic below you can see these parasitoid flies killed the mantis upon emerging. 

P9230017.JPG

welcome. :)

Somehow they look like fruitfly pupea. But I can be wrong... I hope it is not something like in the pic that @Rick  posted🤔

Mantises bought on line as females, L4 or L5. Both have shed at least twice. These are hard to the touch & appear to have antennae & have appeared in both mantis' enclosures. In fact having checked my female giant asian mantis has also got them in her enclosure. Also bought on line from a different source.

None of the mantises have a wound, very healthy, eating well. Quite sure it's not fly larvae, thank goodness. I have fruit fly cultures but their pupae are much smaller & do not have the antennae. Puzzling.

Definitely not a mantis related egg.. I am leaning torwards ff paupae like @ausar318 is saying.

Welcome to the forum! We have lots of fun (and learning) here!

They do look like fruit fly pupae. Are you feeding them flies of any type? 

Definitely fruit fly pupae. These get knocked into my mantis enclosures all the time

Latest posts